Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

XP cannot join domain

Offline greg

• +0/-0
XP cannot join domain
« on: April 07, 2006, 08:54:40 PM »
Hi all,

This is an old issue - and there are other posts on this here on the site. Unfortunately - trying the suggestions given do not help me..

I'm running SME7rc1. The server is intended for intranet use only, and works in server-only mode. However, the also server acts as DHCP server. Looking up the domain in a browser/ pinging etc works fine...

I have a domain that I wish the XP clients to join: COBRA.LOCAL. But when trying that I get the well known message:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain COBRA.LOCAL:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.COBRA.LOCAL

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

COBRA.LOCAL
LOCAL
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

I have applied the regfix, and tried several other things described on these pages... no effect..

Have anybody a fix for this? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks !!

All best

Greg

Offline mdo

• +0/-0
XP cannot join domain
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 11:13:51 PM »
Greg,

you have to join the Windows domain (!). This is actually the name that you have chosen for the "Windows workgroup" and this might be very different to the (primary) domain name that the server uses.

Michael

Offline greg

• +0/-0
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »
Hi Michael,

Now it works.
The PC joined the COBRA windows workgroup - and then I was able to join the domain COBRA.LOCAL. At the first time only with admin.
But subsequent logons with the clients went without any problems..

Thanks a lot for your help...!

/G