Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

high availability and templating?

SSBN

« on: March 03, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »
I have been away from the SME project for quite sum time and things have really changed for the betterover the last year. I have notice you are now running on centos 4.2 and that just happens to be my server platform of choice lately.

My question is can I install centos packages with out affecting the system. For example we build high availability centos server using heartbeate. Can I still set up and run it on centos. Will the tinplating system conflict

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:27:58 PM »

For example we build high availability centos server using heartbeate. Can I still set up and run it on centos. Will the tinplating system conflict

You can do tests by yourself, or using 2 machines or using VMPlayer.

Or if you can create a howto and public release the packages someone else can do tests for you and answer this question.

Jáder

SSBN

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:21:34 AM »
Sorry I wasn’t clear on my question.
What I was asking is can you just up and install the heartbeat rpm and configure it as if it was on a vanilla centos 4.2 server or do you have to recompile the srpm to support templating? Although I somewhat understand how the templating system works with included packages I don’t understand how it would handle a stock RPM for centos?

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:29:43 AM »
SME doesn't modify any rpms from CentOS, and includes many other "stock" rpms made for EL4 from rpmforge and atrpms, etc - so you should be able to use any EL4 rpms.

You might want to have a look at the new Devguide - click on Development on the left menu.

SSBN

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »
Thanks greg i will take a look at the Devguide and post a howto when i get it working.

Offline frederikbay

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »
Hi

Found this article about "Setting Up A Highly Available NFS Server"

This is made for Debian Sarge, but thought it might be useful for the project:

http://www.howtoforge.com/high_availability_nfs_drbd_heartbeat

Frederik

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »
SSBN

>....post a howto when i get it working.

There will be many many people interested in a high availability howto.
Please do publish your work.

You may even consider sharing your development work as it goes along, and other people can test & comment.

The devinfo list is a place where you could get technical support for your development work.

http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/DevList

SSBN

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 02:52:15 PM »
I will post my work when I start it as at this point I haven’t. It is a project for a client of mine and we are still waiting for them to order the hardware. We should be getting started in about a month.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »
Quote from: "SSBN"

What I was asking is can you just up and install the heartbeat rpm and configure it as if it was on a vanilla centos 4.2 server or do you have to recompile the srpm to support templating? Although I somewhat understand how the templating system works with included packages I don’t understand how it would handle a stock RPM for centos?

"included packages" are mostly just stock RPMs for centos. Packages don't need to be recompiled to support templating. templating is just a form of automated text editor which creates configuration files by combining templates and configuration database values.

SSBN

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 07:35:31 PM »
Jut to let everyone know what I am doing and what my thought process is I figured I would explain.

I need to set up a redundant domain controller email system. I am quite comfortable with Linux but I am no programmer I am just an implementer. So I can compile source compile SRPM and modify config files etc. I can’t code at all.

I started off using Smoothwall then SME 5.6 server. When Mitel stopped updating it after 6.0 everything went stale and I left and started building servers myself using Redhat CENTOS combined with webmin as I don’t like or need a GUI but like the option of not using command line. Clients can also work with a web interface.

Now a year or so passed and I dropped back in to se if my first Linux love was doing. Low and behold they had a 7.0 version built on CENTOS and it was alive and kicking. Now I always loved how SME worked. The power of Linux but any MCSE could run it. If you were a Linux man you could bend it to you will as well.

Now for the HV server I have a few requirements.
1: CENTOS 4+
2: Web interface
3: Open exchange or something comparable (shared contacts, Calendars)
4: HA

I want to use SME but I am debating how hard it will be to get HA and Open Exchange working. I have set up both in a vanilla CENTOS server a few times. But although webmin is cool it is blown out of the water by server-manager for simplicity and functionality for this application.

I am going to try SME 7.0 first. I made it work on centos and sme is now centos so I should be able to do it. Making a server-manager panel would be cool but beyond my ability.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
[bounty]
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
I'd even be willing to put a bounty on this for $100 usd. (50% to devel 50% to contribs). Anyone else want to ante in?

Offline frederikbay

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 12:31:57 PM »
I would like to put $100 usd in, this would be the greatest thing  :-D

Offline lucho115

• +0/-0
    • http://www.elac.com.ar
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »
this project dead? or still alive? iam interesting in it.

SSBN

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 06:42:53 PM »
I haven’t ordered the hardware yet and am not interested in working on it until I do. I should be starting in about a month or so. Yes I said a month about three months ago. But I am on my client’s timeline.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »
SSBN

There is another thread running on open-xchange and I think anything you can add to that would also be of great interest especially if you ar synching calandars etc with Outlook.

Rgds
Peter