Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Php scripts on Sme 7 betas

gbaird

« on: October 28, 2005, 10:55:58 PM »
Anybody had any luck running php scripts on Sme 7 betas?

Sme 7 beta 4 has user add problems
Sme 7 beta 5 has ibay add problems

I have tried a few php scripts on both and no luck
yes reported to smebugs but got a very poor responce

third party php scripts not supported - why include php then
I was told I was a smart-ass even

There are no logs for php and I did review apache config & php.ini closely and could no find anything pointing to the problem. I feel it has to be in the Sme setup or maybe the errors adding users or ibays I have also had errors in the webmail it states unable to verify sender's address

I have tried these scripts on several systems Fedora Sme 6.5 Windows IIS with php installed not a single problem Php 4.09 to 5.04

PROBLEM as follows:

Login screen username & password filled out correctly click login button and screen just refreshes with login & password blank

I have tried this with 3 different php scripts that require a login prompt Again all other Sme versions have worked but Sme 7.........

Any help out there?

guest22

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:56:02 PM »
Before any help, if at all, can be 'offered' you should post ANY SME Server 7 Beta issues here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=96750&atid=615772

gbaird

Already have posted there
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 12:05:36 AM »
I have already have posted at bug tracker read the post

Charlie said no third party support php is for use with webmail

pfloor says I am a smart-ass

Sme needs a lot of work on version 7
how can it be completely tested with user add and ibay add
having errors

There are no log files on what or how Sme 7 base is setup

Php & apache are outside programs and I don't feel they are at fault it has to be Sme 7 version only settings 6.5rc1 works fine!

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 07:05:11 PM »
Why don't you follow up to the bug report you made?:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1338466&group_id=96750&atid=615772

Post a copy of the php code that doesn't work and post any any messages you think are relevant from /var/log/httpd/error.log or /var/log/messages.

kirkf

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 10:22:05 PM »
Anybody had any luck running php scripts on Sme 7 betas?

What are you trying to run?  I'm running Gallery2 and phpBB without problems.  It was much cleaner to get Gallery2 running on 7beta4 than on 6.0.1.  Even the open_basedir settings worked out of the box.

As for your unable to verify sender problem, it sounds as though you are using and older beta version.  This was fixed quite a while back.

Kirk[/quote]

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Php scripts on Sme 7 betas
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 10:45:43 PM »
Quote from: "gbaird"

Sme 7 beta 4 has user add problems

beta4 is history. Nobody should be running it.

Sme 7 beta 5 has ibay add problems

Please provide a reference to the smeserver bug report(s). That's where users will find out about any fixes and/or workarounds. If there is no bug report, you should have created one. That would be a more useful use of your time and mine than bitching here.

Until you post your scripts and/or messages from your log files no-one can help you with your php problems.

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 12:07:43 AM »

PROBLEM as follows:

Login screen username & password filled out correctly click login button and screen just refreshes with login & password blank

I have tried this with 3 different php scripts that require a login prompt Again all other Sme versions have worked but Sme 7.........

Any help out there?

This could be the issue.  register_globals is now defaulted to off in php.ini on 7.0.  Edit your php.ini file and change that to on, then restart httpd-e-smith (Don't have the exact event to run handy).  Then try your app, if it works, then you have found your issue.  You will need to have register_globals on for this app or assign an initial value to the variables you are using in your script.  When B6 comes out there will be a db entry that you will be able to set for apps that need this turned on.

If it doesn't work, then as others have stated, you need to give more info on the scripts/app you are trying to use.

JB

gbaird

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 02:24:40 AM »
This could be the issue.  register_globals is now defaulted to off in php.ini on 7.0.  Edit your php.ini file and change that to on, then restart httpd-e-smith (Don't have the exact event to run handy).  Then try your app, if it works, then you have found your issue.  You will need to have register_globals on for this app or assign an initial value to the variables you are using in your script.  When B6 comes out there will be a db entry that you will be able to set for apps that need this turned on.

If it doesn't work, then as others have stated, you need to give more info on the scripts/app you are trying to use.

JB

Alreay tried the register_globals and already sent to smebugs issue closed as Charlie stated NO THIRD PARTY SUPPORT pfloor was no help either

NO logs for how Sme is setup checked every log file I could in server-manager no info on what is happening I printed out Sme 6.5 & Sme 7.0beta5 php.ini & httpd.conf files and reviewed very closely nothing found

I feel it has to be the ibay errors - create ibay beta 5 there was a error creating the ibay or a permission change in beta 4 & 5 Tried beta 4 to see if it could be the ibay problem in beta 5 no difference

I will continue to use Sme 6.5 until I feel security is a problem then will just use a Fedora or Centos system I have used Sme since e-smith days and have not seen the problems to get a release out

PS: my php code is tied to a mysql database to check login YES I check those logs also nothing I can't send 1 page to review as it has a db connect config file and a database to create for use

Anybody know where to find info on how Sme is restructured since Centos is now used or how permissions are set or better yet how Centos rpms are tweaked to suit Sme might be some answers there

Repeat for everyone

All versions of e-smith 5.12 through final release work
All versions of Sme work through 6.5rc1 work
Fedora core 1,2,3, and 4 work with various versions of Php work
Windows 2000 & IIS with Php installed work

I sell these scripts worldwide and have to test on several systems it is a shame to not be able run a demo on my own server when and if I update to Sme 7.0

Gregory Baird

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 02:50:16 AM »
Dude,

SME 7 is still a freaking beta release.  Some stuff is going to work some isn't.  Even from release to release.  That's typical of every beta release program I have been involved with.  Creating an Ibay is crucial feature, so if it's truly an Ibay create bug, then I'm sure it will get fixed if a bug is filed that can reproduce the error and describe what's happenning from a base install.

It's great that you sell your scripts worldwide, but to try to vent your frustration with a beta release seems to be wasting time.  You, me, or someone should be able to load B5 and create an ibay and see if an error occurs.  If so, a bug should be filed.

Saying someone was of no help, sure motivates others, ok maybe just me, to jump right in and try to help with any of the other questions you have posed.  None of us don't get paid for the time spent in the forums, so we should all just be grateful someone is/was/did try to help.

Respectfully sent,

JB

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 05:02:22 AM »
NO logs for how Sme is setup checked every log file I could in server-manager no info on what is happening

I don't understand.  You have people here offering to help you and you refuse to upload a log file?  Start with /var/log/httpd/error.log and /var/log/messages from the relevant timeframe.  You can upload them quite easily to the bug report you started.  It's quite possible that they mean nothing to you, but it may be obvious to someone here.  The bug report is not closed by the way, the status is 'Pending', IE, waiting for your follow-up...

gbaird

Nobody Understands
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 03:55:24 PM »
I have not refused to upload server logs!
I understand Sme 7 is BETA!
I do understand and can read the email recieved from Sme bugs that said bug report CLOSED

I cannot upload server log file I don't have as I have given up on Sme 7 until a final release is out ( maybe the ibay create issue is the problem or part of it.)

I have several posts on this site helping others with problems and UNDERSTAND how this site works ( check FAQ tweaks webmail changes I wrote half of it) I don't care BS!

I am tired of being slamed for
1. sending in a bug report
2. trying to find answers on this site
3. be told I don't care or don't understand Sme 7 is beta
4. People have offered to help Charlie says NO third party support pfloor says I am a smart-ass gordonr is the only responce worth any salt

I have not just started using Sme today I run a highly customized Sme 6.5rc1 server NO PROBLEMS

I have been using Linux since version 5.1 I can read a log file most general questions on this site are not Sme help
people that can't connect to the internet don't know anything about DNS mail servers or even Linux I have only asked for any info someone may have for Php not working on Sme 7betas

Pretty damned odd the php script worked with Sme 7alpha 24

No future responces will be replied to waste of time find some other person to be-little or try to make out as stupid

Special page for gregswallow, mrjhb3, & pfloor

http://www.eelriver-networks.com/fo.php

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Setting the record straight
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 05:00:26 PM »
For the record, Mr Baird's bug report is here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=96750&atid=615772&func=detail&aid=1338466

As I said there:

We can't help you to debug php applications which we do
  not provide.
  If you find a problem with PHP or PHP configuration which we
  can correct we'd be happy to have your input.

The ibay problem in 7.0beta5 referred to might be this one:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=96750&atid=615772&func=detail&aid=1327138

I can't say for sure, because Mr Baird hasn't provided any details. A fix has been available for that problem since October 14th.

Greg, since you sell your scripts worldwide, perhaps you should hire someone competent in debugging PHP applications who can tell you why the scripts are not working. That way you'll help your customers, and stop raising all our stress levels. If you find a problem with our PHP or PHP configuration, please be sure to let us know.

If you like the software which we give to you, please be nice to us. If you're not prepared to do that, please don't use the software.

Thanks.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Re: Nobody Understands
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »
I do understand and can read the email recieved from Sme bugs that said bug report CLOSED

Check your email again, it was set to 'Pending' by Gordon.

I cannot upload server log file I don't have as I have given up on Sme 7 until a final release is out

Fine, you could have said just that and been done with it.  I'll gladly close the bug for you.  In the future, don't submit a bug report unless you're prepared to follow up.

And I'd like an apology for the 'special page'.

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: Nobody Understands
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 11:47:41 PM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"

Check your email again, it was set to 'Pending' by Gordon.

For the record, I accidentally closed the bug while performing bug tracker cleanup. I immediately reopened it, and set it to Pending state.

Also for the record, Charlie's original response was purely to ask for logs. This is entirely normal and reasonable.

So far we know that *something* is different between 7.0beta5 and earlier versions which affects Mr. Baird's script, but does not affect normal operation of the server. It could be:

- Differences between PHP versions
- Missing PHP modules
- Additional restrictions we have enabled, such as open_basedir() and register_globals()
- Breakage in his script

but without logs or the script, how are we to know?

As an exercise, try posting to the PHP or Linux kernel mailing lists with:

"Rasmus/Linus, my PHP script doesn't work. I don't plan to provide any details, I won't provide the script, I won't provide logs, but your software is obviously broken."

This is also known as "Light blue touch paper and stand clear".

Quote from: "gregswallow"

And I'd like an apology for the 'special page'.

I second that. In fact, I feel that such a page is sufficient to ask Mr. Baird to leave this community.

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 12:20:18 AM »
I refer to what is written somewhere above:

"SME 7 is still a freaking beta release."

I have tried to do some testing of the php functions during the day, to see if the installation should have any "obvios bad bugs", but i havent't found any.

Actually had some white pages, but those were traced down to my own inncorrect typing.

Horde webmail has a password log on and this work fine. Also PhpMyadmin works ok. I now also have intergrated the Asterisk@home pbx server, that is among other based on a collection of php scrips, with help from this community. This works now very stable. (As far as tested until now. Times go on)

Personally I do not know any other OS installation that can do that complex number of server tasks and the automated server configuration tasks of the sme server, together with all the integrated iptelephony tasks of Asterisk@home.

If the php installation of the sme 70 B5 were a "freaky mess" it wouldnt work quite like that.