Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Excel spreadsheet Open file error

trombley

« on: July 14, 2005, 11:48:34 PM »
My corporation has an SME 6.0 server, used as a file server. My users have reported that for the last few months, whenever they open an Excel 2003 spreadsheet, edit it, and then re-save it onto the server (as the same file name) they receive a "someone may have edited this file already" message, with a 'Save As' or 'Overwrite' option box.  I have conducted tests and know for a fact that no other user has opened the same file. Nor is there any operation being conducted using that file.

Our workstations are XP Professional. They have been using this server for over 18 months. There are no issues with other type of files that I am aware of.  I have tested on several different workstations with the same results.  I have tested it as both an admin and regular access, with the same results.

The server has been rebooted several times during this period.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline irian

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 09:23:55 PM »
This is a Excel problem.

Copy the file to a workstation and share it there and have it accessed and opened there.
Do you keep having the same problems?

MdV

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 10:48:40 PM »
Hi!

This may be a virus scanner or opportunistic file locking, enabled by Samba by default. Search for the Advanced workgroup contrib and disable opportunistic locking from the Adv. Workgroup web panel.

trombley

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:30:38 PM »
Quote from: "irian"
This is a Excel problem.

Copy the file to a workstation and share it there and have it accessed and opened there.
Do you keep having the same problems?

MdV

That defeats the purpose of having a file server, especially since we have thousands of excel files. But it does not do it on a workstation.  This is some sort of SME issue.

shanen

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:25:50 AM »
As stefan24 suggested, search for a contrib called e-smith-advworkgroup-0.3-4.noarch.rpm and install it.
This will add a server manager panel called "advanced workgroup".
Go to the section called "Opportunistic locking"
In the section "Veto oplock files" add /*.xls/*.XLS/. and let us know how you go.

Shane

wsmeurope

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 12:35:09 PM »
I use to open my "excel" file on my SME files server with OpenOffice. I never had any problem. Maybe you have to test, it's free...

http://www.openoffice.org/

trombley

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 06:01:41 PM »
Quote from: "shanen"
As stefan24 suggested, search for a contrib called e-smith-advworkgroup-0.3-4.noarch.rpm and install it.
This will add a server manager panel called "advanced workgroup".
Go to the section called "Opportunistic locking"
In the section "Veto oplock files" add /*.xls/*.XLS/. and let us know how you go.

Shane

I'll give it a try .. thanks