Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

My Jabber Saga....Again

dswillia

My Jabber Saga....Again
« on: June 11, 2005, 07:16:45 AM »
Ok so I really would like to get Jabber server working correctly on my box.  I have tried
sme-jabber-IM-0.0.1-5.noarch.rpm and it seems to work ok.  However I have been forced to use the exodus client with it.  Let me explain.  

When I create a jabber user through the control panel it adds the user correctly and emails them their username and password.  This works great if I use exodus as a client, but thats not good enough for me, I want to be able to use GAIM with the server.  However if I try to connect with GAIM I get a uthorization error.  This made me curious so I started playing with it a little more.  With the jabber contrib, when you add a user it creates "username.xml" file that contain the account info on the server.  This includes a hash of the assigned password.  When I create an account using the gaim or gush clients and register on the server it creates a "username.xml" file and then works great.  Now most people would say well just have your clients create an account with their clients, however I want to turn registration off on the server an control who has access to the chat server.

When I compare the 2 xml files the only thing that stand out is the the hash on the client created xml file is much longer than the hash created by the userpanel.  Now I know that the hash will be different with different passwords, however I created both using the same password.  

So my question is... can someone help, it must be that the sme userpanel contrib is using a diffrent encryption... but I dont know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

guest22

My Jabber Saga....Again
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 07:28:21 PM »
Same here....

dswillia

My Jabber Saga....Again
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 03:50:03 AM »
Ok, found a solution.  I d/l'ed all the noarch.rpms from http://www.tech-geeks.org/contrib/loveless/SMEServer/archives/jabber/NewJabber/

I installed them all and it created the correct files.  This contrib looks like it forces SSL connections so I had to create a key.  It was easy enough to do:

cd /opt/jabber (you want to be in this directory)
./generateSSLkey

Follow the instructions and generate a key.  This will create a key.pem file.  Make sure that file is located in /opt/jabber.  Once you do this access server manager and start the jabber server and create your users.  I was able to use Gaim and Gush.  (In gaim be sure to tell it to for old style SSL)

On a side note.  This rpm did not include conference.o which is required for conferencing services.  I took the conference.o file from the e-smith-jabber-IM-0.0.1-5.noarch.rpm.  This did allow me to create chat rooms, however they cannot be browsed via GAIM.  If anyone can figure this out it would be much appreciated.[/url]