Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Backup2ws - More RAR files than expected.

AndyCocker

« on: May 09, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
Hi,

I installed backup2ws on SME 6.01 and ran a full backup over the weekend. I used a source of/bin,/boot,/dev,/etc,/home,/initrd,/lib,/opt,/quota.group,/quota.user,/root,/sbin,/service,/usr,/var as per instructions. I was surprised to see that this resulted in 16 rar's, each sized 665.6 Mb.

Using df -h on the server shows I have only used 601Mb of a possible 13 Gig on /dev/hda3, and 14Mb of a possible 99Mb on /dev/hda1

Am I correct in thinking that backup2ws is archiving all my free space also? What elso could account for so many rar's?

All the best,

Andy Cocker

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:58:41 AM »
>...as per instructions...

which instructions ?

Create the 911 Disaster Recovery Backup job, which will also include the mysql dbs (other backup jobs do not include mysl dumps).

My 911 (default job) has the following which is all you need to reconstruct your system.
/home,/etc/e-smith/templates-custom,/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom,/etc/group,/etc/gshadow,/etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/smbpasswd,/etc/ssh,/opt,/root

Backing up those other directories will not help you, as you will not be able to restore that data onto a working system.

You cannot use backup2ws to restore the OS and applications. You need to restore the 911 job to a freshly installed OS and then reinstall all applications.

AndyCocker

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:27:12 PM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"

which instructions ?

The instructions on the Backup to workstation page on the server-manager

Enter the backup source. Example: [ /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibayname/files ].
Do not enter [ /,/proc,/tmp ]. More appropriate is to enter the exact rootdirs you require.
Separate multiple sources with a comma. For a complete backup enter:

[ /bin,/boot,/dev,/etc,/home,/initrd,/lib,/opt,/quota.group,/quota.user,/root,/sbin,/service,/usr,/var ]

Create the 911 Disaster Recovery Backup job, which will also include the mysql dbs (other backup jobs do not include mysl dumps).

Yes, I'd gathered that this was the case, hence my using backup2ws. I take a backup to tape too. Is this a waste of time if I'm taking regular 911 backups?

My 911 (default job) has the following which is all you need to reconstruct your system.
/home,/etc/e-smith/templates-custom,/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom,/etc/group,/etc/gshadow,/etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/smbpasswd,/etc/ssh,/opt,/root

Backing up those other directories will not help you, as you will not be able to restore that data onto a working system.

I'll try those settings instead. I didn't know where the MySQL db's were stored (still learning), so I thought I was backing up everything.

You cannot use backup2ws to restore the OS and applications. You need to restore the 911 job to a freshly installed OS and then reinstall all applications.

Yes, I had read this too. So, I'd reinstall the OS, restore the 911 job, then reinstall all apps (in that order)?
Isn't the usual way to reinstall the OS, reinstall all apps then resotre from backup?

I'm a natural worrier :-), and want to feel confident  
 that I can recover my system easily.

Anyhow, I'll try the 911 settings.
Thanks for your help Ray,

All the best,

Andy Cocker

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:52:41 PM »
AndyCocker

> I didn't know where the MySQL db's were stored
>(still learning), so I thought I was backing up everything.

/var/lib/mysql
but I gather you cannot just copy (backup) open mysql dbs, therefore the need (in the pre backup script) to dump the contents to
/home/e-smith/db/mysql
which is included in the 911 backup job and in tape backups and in the backup to desktop.

> I'm a natural worrier :-), and want to feel
> confident that I can recover my system easily.

The way to be sure of your recovery process is to carry out a complete backup and restore cycle (from your server to a test box) & prove it all works using the backup2ws or tape or both depending how sure you want to be.

I don't personally see the need for BOTH daily backup2ws backup jobs AND daily tape backups.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
AndyCocker

> ...So, I'd reinstall the OS, restore the 911 job, reinstall all apps (in that order) ?
> Isn't the usual way to reinstall the OS, reinstall all apps then restore from backup?

Well according to Charlie it's OS, restore backup then apps, (but that would be using the standard backup to desktop or tape)
Using backup2ws I would do
OS, install backup2ws, restore 911, then install other apps.

Quoting Charlie:
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=26720.msg109383#msg109383

"My advice has always been to set up an i-bay containing all of your add-on software packages -
preferably in RPM format. Install the software from those RPMs. If you need to do a system restore,
this i-bay will be in your backup. If you need to do a system restore, after the restore this i-bay
will be back in place. You can then install all your add-on software from this i-bay."

AndyCocker

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:36:45 PM »
Yes, that certainly sounds like good advice. I'll setup that additional i-bay immediately.

/var/lib/mysql
but I gather you cannot just copy (backup) open mysql dbs, therefore the need (in the pre backup script) to dump the contents to
/home/e-smith/db/mysql
which is included in the 911 backup job and in tape backups and in the backup to desktop.

Will the 911 restore put all my databases back in place, and will my site (phpBB, mambo) simply connect back to it without additional password/privileges needing to be setup? i hope so, as I'm not entirely sure how I got these working  :-?

Thanks again Ray.

Andy Cocker

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:50:49 PM »
AndyCocker

> Will the 911 restore put all my databases back in place

Yes should do.

> ..will my site (phpBB, mambo) simply connect back to it without additional password/privileges needing to be setup?

You may need to run the configuration for these programs again, without creating new databses, just depends on the app. Maybe its a good idea to include the install HOWTOs or install notes from web sites into the backup application ibay as well, for future reference.

If you want "easy" backup/restore of EVERYTHING you might consider one of the disk cloning options (it seems they do not work well with software RAID1 although there was a recent HOWTO published), or a RAID1 array and remove and swap one disk from time to time. All the applications and configuration and OS are there, just rebuild the RAID1 system (array) from the removed drive in the event you need to restore the system.