Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 7.0 release status (see thread in SME 7.x forum)

guest22

« on: April 02, 2005, 09:12:45 AM »
A new SME Server Alpha is on its way to the mirrors listed here:
http://smeserver.sourceforge.net/sme70/Downloads?v=ewe

As usual, feedback is appreciated here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=96750&atid=615772

A list of changes is yet to be compiled.

Note: This is an ALPHA version intended for testing purposes only! Your feedback, bugs or suggestions are highly appreciated.

(edit: changed revision number in the topic)

Offline hardijs

• +0/-0
upgrade from previous versions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:35:34 PM »
does 7a5 upgrade from previous versions like from 7a4 or 6.5?

Offline jackl

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 02:44:33 AM »
RequestedDeletion

I've only downloaded the previous alpha have not managed to install yet. The pace is stagering are we near a beta yet?
Did you manage to find Jeff coleman after?

Rgds
Jack

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:05:21 PM »

Skydiver

feedback
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »
Mysql 4 would be a better option. please think about making everything more up to date.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: feedback
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 11:54:09 PM »
Quote from: "Skydiver"
Mysql 4 would be a better option. please think about making everything more up to date.

RedHat obviously think that mysql 3.23.58 is sufficiently up to date, because that is what they ship with RedHat Enterprise Linux 3, which is what is the basis for this release. Moreover, mysql is only used for webmail preferences in the base release, and the shipped mysql is certainly "sufficiently up to date" for that.

If you wish to install additional software, maybe, just maybe, that software will require mysql 4 - in which case, you can install mysql 4.

The policy is that packages are only updated beyond that provided by the upstream vendor if there is a compelling reason to do so. In this case, there isn't.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: upgrade from previous versions
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:55:07 PM »
Quote from: "hardijs"
does 7a5 upgrade from previous versions like from 7a4 or 6.5?

It certainly should do. If it doesn't, you'll tell us via the bug tracker, won't you?

boss_hog

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 12:18:14 AM »
To follow up on Charlie's point,
SME 7.0alpha5 on one of my test boxes, DID upgrade fine from SME 7.0alpha4.

Upgrade took between 7 and 9 minutes on a Intel  based P2@333mhz, with 192mg ram.

It is an excellent time to be an SME community member, we have 2 great works-in-progress; SME6.5 & SME7.0! {*grins large and long*}
Joe

Skydiver

mysql4
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 12:36:14 AM »
is there a how to upgrade to mysql 4. i found an update script for 6.5 but will this work the same for 7.0 alpha3

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: mysql4
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 02:14:27 AM »
is there a how to upgrade to mysql 4. i found an update script for 6.5 but will this work the same for 7.0 alpha3

I'd be very surprised if it did. You will want mysql 4 RPMs compatible with RHEL3 (or WBEL or CentOS 3), not with RedHat 7.3, as the ones which work with 6.5 will be.

Are you quite sure that you *need* mysql 4?

Skydiver

Mysql 4
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 07:01:28 AM »
Charlie

Yes the application i am using links to Mysql and one section requires a feature that comes with Mysql 4 + only....

On a different note
I not sure if this is a bug but i find

In server only mode SME 7.0 alpha3  all ports are closed even ports 80 110 25 and 21 even if ssh is enabled for remote access. I note i can access these ports from the local network but if i port forward to them from my router they are noted from the internet as closed.

Example

Primary ibay

If i do say 192.168.1.5 from the local network i see the primary ibay
If i port forward say 3001 to port 80 from my router and scan from the internet it says port closed.
If i try and access from the internet http://mydomain.com:3001 it should take me to this servers primary ibay but it refuses to connect.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong.

Note when i complete the above example on a SME 6.5 box in server only mode the example works from the internet and the ports scans as open.

Any help please

cc_skavenger

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 03:35:53 PM »
upgrade to sme 7 alpha 5.  alpha 3 had problems starting services....

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
bug reports via sourceforge, please.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 04:28:30 PM »

I not sure if this is a bug but i find ...

All feedback concerning functionality/performance via bug tracker at smeserver.sourceforge.net please. Search the existing bug database first, please, to avoid duplicates.

Skydiver

bugs
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 09:24:52 PM »
Quote from: "cc_skavenger"
upgrade to sme 7 alpha 5.  alpha 3 had problems starting services....

Hi
Thanks im downloading the iso now...

-----------------------------------------

CharlieBrady

Thanks for offering myself direction to the correct location for bug tracking. I was not sure it was a bug as i could not find a thread in the main forum system with details anyone else had found the same issue.  
I thought before a bug is a bug the issue was discussed in these forums. Then posted as a bug to save posting none bug issues wasting developers time. In most cases i find its something i have done wrong and as a general rule someone here sets me right. User  
error is normal for myself.
Anyway i will keep an eye on the bug section before i post here also.

Cheers

Ps any chance you have decided to update mysql to 4.* ???
hehehehe

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: bugs
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 10:24:54 PM »

I thought before a bug is a bug the issue was discussed in these forums. Then posted as a bug to save posting none bug issues wasting developers time.

It's a much greater waste of developer time to scour through forums looking for bugs which haven't been reported in the proper place.

As has been said here many times, report anything which doesn't "just work" to the bug tracker. Especially so for alpha and beta releases. You just waste everyone's time with "is it a bug or not" discussion. There's also a significant change that you'll be misled by mistaken answers in the forums.