Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FTP access

Budolfsen

FTP access
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:22:05 PM »
Hi

I have set my E-smith up with ftp-access as public, so I can get access to my files from anywhere, but it allow all my users access to my server.

Can I set it up so it is only me who has access and not alle my users?

Kent

egerards

FTP access
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:03:03 PM »
You could use SFTP in stead of FTP. The SFTP client establishes an SSH connection with your server and a FTP connection is tunnelled via this SSH connection.

Install e-smith-usershellaccess-0.1-3.noarch.rpm and rssh-2.2.1-2.0.rh7.dag.i386.rpm and in the server manager under 'User shell access' you give rssh access to the user who is allowed to do file transfers.

Two easy to use SFTP clients are FileZilla and WinSCP.

This way you can totally disable ftp access to your server and still access/upload your files.

Budolfsen

FTP access
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »
Now I have downloaded the two rpm's. How do I install them (I am not that good at Linux).

Regards
Kent

egerards

FTP access
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:01:22 PM »
On the command line you type:

rpm -Uvh e-smith-usershellaccess-0.1-3.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh rssh-2.2.1-2.0.rh7.dag.i386.rpm

(or if both rpm files are in one subdir: rpm -Uvh *.rpm)

And that's it. Now go to the server manager and proceed as discussed in my previous posting.

Budolfsen

FTP access
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:18:14 AM »
Thanks - but I have just one more question.

When I set it up as you describe I can't get access through FileZilla.

i have set my server to rssh-access and I have given my firewall ftp and sftp-grants, but it won't let me in.

Whats wrong?

regards
Kent

egerards

FTP access
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:07:52 AM »
Here is a checklist:

- Shell access for the (non admin) account has to be set to rssh access.
- The SSH service needs to be reachable. Do you forward port 22 on your firewall to your SME server?
- SSH access is ok if you can logon to your server with (e.g.) PuTTY as user root (or as another user who has bash access).
- If necessary check the SSH settings in the server manager (Remote access). The settings need to be 'Allow public access' (unless you're doing SFTP on your local network only) and two times 'Yes'.

- In FileZilla you choose 'SFTP using SSH2' as Servertype and the portnumber is usually 22.
- Logontype is normal.
- Provide FileZilla the username (that has rssh access) and a password and you're done!  :-)

Budolfsen

FTP access
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 06:11:18 PM »
Now it works thanks

Regards
Kent

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
Brilliant!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 05:50:50 AM »
Exactly what I needed to allow a client to set up a secure file dropbox.  THANKS!!!