Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

forwarding emails and spamfilter

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 07:48:24 AM »
this post was removed for documentation purposes. see solution in post below. thanks,

Damian

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 10:43:53 PM »
This is seriously bad news. I now have 4 sites screwed due to the change.

Knuddi - didn't you want to mention these changes so that we could choose to update or not ? Or did you and I missed it ? I mean, I trust your packages but now who knows what cleanup needs to be done after an upgrade. Lost faith there a little.

Also thanks to Ray for explaining the nuts-n-bolts. I tried modifying the user-manager page for the few users that I do know the password for and it still doesn't forward. These sites have no techy expertise and rely on external techies to fix these things for them.

In most cases they want a copy of all incoming mail to go to a "safe" inbox, untouched by human hand except in the case of legal action. This was broken by the upgrade.

This leaves our SME servers in an unknown state. I'm embarrased that I don't have an answer for the customer's who are now emailing with these issues.

I've recommended SME to sites because it's rock solid and then find it isn't. Not a happy day.

Damian

Damian

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 11:58:36 PM »
Are all the Spamassassin contribs thus mangled ? Is there any mileage in going a different route for spam ?
The last SA update breaks server-manager as it renders the Add User section's mail settings useless.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 04:23:16 AM »
It's just a consequence of using the contrib. It isn't Jesper's job to get it working in all scenerios (or even at all). Though some documentation would have been nice. :-)

It would be nice if spam was removed before it hit the user with 'qmail-scanner' as it can "integrate with SpamAssassin to provide comprehensive anti-spam tagging for an entire site" (http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/). This would leave procmail out of the solution. Or reroute the procmail to follow the delivery already in place (explained in last post). With a small team, or someone who knows a little more than I do, it could probably finished in a night's work- maybe less. Then released in a new contrib.

But don't hold your breathe, since I seem to be the only one offering solutions/interested in getting it to work. My work/contribs amounts to a small pile.

Before you go fixing things be aware that turning procmail off with a: lat-procmail -c "*|disabled|no|some|normal" will set all your users to deliver local only. It's better to do a

lat-dump -d
change the file quickly in EXCEL/spreadsheet
lat-users -a -i <path to file>

This actually updates the users' information already there (something else I didn't see in documentation). It's a pain but it's better than doing it by hand.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 06:01:23 AM »
Damian

> The last SA update breaks server-manager as it renders the Add User section's mail settings useless.
> I've recommended SME to sites because it's rock solid and then find it isn't. Not a happy day.

I think you are being unfair on sme & Jesper, and  blaming them for not taking it upon on yourself to fully analyse the consequences of installing a add on contrib.
That's the way the Spam Filter contrib works and as a result of that, it does what it does.
If you don't like the functionality then put your request (nicely) to the author of the contrib for the changes you think are necessary.

You don't have to use it !!

Damian

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 08:09:30 AM »
All,

I'm not blaming anyone. I appreciate the very great amount of voluntary work done by all of these contributors and I know that I don't have to use any contrib. But when the contribs are as well made and functionally useful as Jesper's and work time after time you get casual about checking. That's actually a complement.
Say I ran a business leasing cars to customers where the new cars are delivered straight to them. After a couple of years the manufacturer decided to ship all new models without glass in the windows. The first I knew is when the customers started to ring me. That's kind of where I'm coming from (although I don't sell cars :o). I welcome the new auto-update feature in these contribs except that by using it you're definately out of the verification-before-insallation loop.
Anyhow, there's some useful info coming out of this thread and I'll definately keep watching it. If I wasn't too dumb to program I'd even contribute code :-P
Damian

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 09:29:58 AM »
Damian

> I welcome the new auto-update feature in these contribs except that by using it you're definately out of the verification-before-insallation loop.

That's not exactly correct, you can choose the option that suits your situation.
The spam filter panel (update field) has choices to Warn only, Download & warn, Download & install or Disable updates.

d6hq

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 10:24:11 AM »
I fell foul of this also - poor documentation of an otherwise excellent contrib. Am I correct in thinking that the "Download and warn" setting will allow me to perform a SA update at our discretion?

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 03:12:48 PM »
no, no, no, all wrong! all wrong!

Here, this should work:

CREATE CUSTOM TEMPLATE I:
-mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom/.procmailrc
-cp /etc/e-smith/templates-user/.procmailrc/99_spamfilter_default
/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom/.procmailrc
-in /etc/e-smith/templates-user/.procmailrc/99_spamfilter_default you should have
Code: [Select]

{
 # check whether the User-Manager panel has placed the template files
 # before creating one.

use esmith::config;
 use esmith::db;

###pulls account info
 my %accounts;
 tie %accounts, 'esmith::config', '/home/e-smith/accounts';

my $ForwardAddress = db_get_prop(\%accounts, $USERNAME, "ForwardAddress");

$OUT = '';

unless ( -e '/etc/e-smith/templates-user/.procmailrc/99default' ) {

# Default rule
 if ($ForwardAddress eq "")
 {
 $OUT .= "\n";
 $OUT .= "# --------------------------\n";
 $OUT .= "# all else goes to the inbox\n";
 $OUT .= ":0\n";
 $OUT .= "\$DEFAULT\n";
 }
 else
 {
 $OUT .= "\n";
 $OUT .= "# all else gets forwarded\n";
 $OUT .= "! $ForwardAddress\n";
 }
 } #end unless

}

This will forward all email to the FORWARDADDRESS field.

To capture the email and send a copy to the FORWARDADDRESS, put the following code underneath else (caution -this will fill up your HD space if users don't check regularly):

{
 $OUT .= "\n";
 $OUT .= "# all else goes to the inbox & to FORWARDADDRESS\n";
 $OUT .= ":0 c\n";
 $OUT .= "! $ForwardAddress\n";
 $OUT .= "\$DEFAULT\n";
 }

CREATE CUSTOM TEMPLATE II:
#create a new filter to stop email looping
vi /etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom/.procmailrc/45_procmail_bounce
-in /etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom/.procmailrc/45_procmail_bounce you should have

{

# If a forwarded mail gets bounced,
# it's delivered into the local INBOX to prevent looping
$OUT .= " ";
$OUT .= "# ---------------------------------- ";
$OUT .= "# all bounced mail goes to the inbox ";
$OUT .= "# ---------------------------------- ";
$OUT .= ":0 ";
$OUT .= "* ^FROM_DAEMON ";
$OUT .= "* ^FROM_MAILER ";
$OUT .= "$DEFAULT ";

}

CLEAN UP & CREATE .procmailrc's
Then delete or move the existing fragment: /etc/e-smith/templates-user/.procmailrc/99default to ensure that the recreation picks up the changes.

Then update everyone's individual .procmailrc file with a:
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event spamfilter-init-procmail

USERACCOUNTS PANEL:
::to change the useraccounts panel to show the 'procmail' option
-vi /etc/e-smith/web/functions/useraccounts
-the emailforward section should look like this:

<field type="select" id="EmailForward" options="'local' =>
        'DELIVER_EMAIL_LOCALLY', 'forward' => 'FORWARD_EMAIL',
        'both' => 'DELIVER_AND_FORWARD', 'procmail' => 'Use procmail to
        process mail'" validation="nonblank" value='local'>
            <label>EMAIL_DELIVERY</label>
        </field>

FORCE PROCMAIL FOR ALL OPTIONS:
-vi /etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom/.qmail/e-smithForward20
-the emailforward section should look like this:

if ($EmailForward eq "local")
    {
        $OUT .= "\n";
        $OUT .= "| /usr/bin/procmail ~/.procmailrc \n";
    }
    elsif ($EmailForward eq 'forward')
    {
        $OUT .= "\n";
    }
    elsif ($EmailForward eq 'both')
    {
        $OUT .= "\n";
        $OUT .= "./Maildir/\n";
    }
    elsif ($EmailForward eq 'procmail')
    {
        $OUT .= "\n";
    }
    else
    {
        # this shouldn't happen - if it does, deliver through procmail
        $OUT .= "\n";
    }

USERPANEL-FORWARDING:
::to always include the procmail option
-vi /etc/e-smith/web/functions/userpanel-forwarding   
-the if/else statement for the procmail section should include 'procmail' in values and look like:

-values  => ['local', 'forward', 'both', 'procmail'],

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
-the individual .procmailrc files are recreated with a /sbin/e-smith/signal-event user-modprocmail <username>
-this automatically happens in userpanel-forwarding but not in the useraccounts panel
-the .procmailrc files are only recreated if the $emailforward value is "procmail"; if another value (forward, local, both) then the changes only take place with a /sbin/e-smith/signal-event spamfilter-init-procmail (i'm guessing user-modprocmail is hard-coded to react this way).

filk

kruhm: .procmailrc isn't picking up the changes
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 02:05:04 AM »
I followed all of your instructions, however, .procmailrc is not picking up the template fragment.  Am I missing an "expand-template" step?  I don't think so, because the mod-procmail event is supposed to look at the user-custom templates.

I deleted all the .procmailrc files, but they are just being recreated exactly as they were before.

Any ideas why?

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 06:27:17 AM »
there is no expand-template step for the .procmailrc

The individual files are created from the templates themselves (i think that makes sense). Whatever changes you make should be picked up when you recreate the .procmailrc's. [You can test this safely by deleting a .procmailrc in the users directory and changing some comments in the template. Then recreate the .procmailrc with  /sbin/e-smith/signal-event spamfilter-init-procmail ]

Be certain to delete/move the following file: /etc/e-smith/templates-user/.procmailrc/99default

Also, if you're deleting all of the .procmailrc's for the users, you shouldn't have to do a /sbin/e-smith/signal-event spamfilter-modprocmail (sorry about that)

you should only have to do a  /sbin/e-smith/signal-event spamfilter-init-procmail (i don't know if there's a way that works better than deleting and recreating)

of course, make sure you have a forwarding email address in for the users

jbath

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 04:12:23 PM »
I've been having similar problems.  What should the .procmailrc file look like after the template's been changed where I have a user with a forwarding email address?

I'm new to procmail and understand the concepts behind it, but the implementation is another thing entirely.

Thanks

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 05:35:22 AM »
@What should the .procmailrc file look like after...
It will look exactly like the same as the default except the last section will include 2 lines to forward the email. The entire last section is below:

# --------------------------
# all else goes to the inbox
# --------------------------
:0 c
! <forwardaddress@willbehere>
:0
$DEFAULT

FYI -You can use midnight commander, mc, to easily delete all your .procmailrc files

@...but the implementation is another thing entirely
It took me awhile to figure it out myself. Procmail is install during the orginal sme install but not implemented until the sa contrib is applied. Each user gets an individual .procmail file derived from the templates.

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
Damian
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 02:18:51 AM »
I am very sorry for hijacking this thread but I am trying to contact Damian.  Damian could you email me at towsons AT marist DOT ac DOT jp .  We need your help desperately regarding auto mounting home directories.

Once again, sorry!
 :-(
Saving the world ... one server at a time.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 02:34:07 AM »
I'm not sure what happens when Auto update is turned on as I never allow anything to auto update my systems, but in the manually run install script there is clear warning displayed near the very beginning of the script that says:
"This script will enable procmail for all users and thereby filter spam to a junkmail folder. If you are forwarding emails then you will need to change the settings back after installation"

To quote:

clear
echo "========================================================"
echo "= SpamFilter Installation Script                       ="
echo "=                                                      ="
echo "= This script will install SpamAssassin, SpamFilter    ="
echo "= server-manager module as well as DCC and             ="
echo "= Razor2. It also ensures that you on an daily basis    ="
echo "= check for new SA updates. This script will only work ="
echo "= on SME 6.0.x                                         ="
echo "=                                                      ="
echo "= This script will enable procmail for all users and   ="