Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cyrus IMAP

shanen

Cyrus IMAP
« on: December 18, 2004, 04:23:35 AM »
Hi all,
I have been playing with the Cyrus IMAP script and have come across a minor hurdle with the install.
Contrib from http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php?pagename=How%20to%20install%20Cyrus%20IMAP%20server%20on%20e-smith%20SME%20Server%20Feedback&action=BackLinks

Mot de passe administration server IMAP : . NO Login failed: authentication failure

Translated to: Password administration server IMAP : . NO Login failed: authentication failure

The offending part of the script is below:

print "Mot de passe administration server IMAP : ";
system("echo \"%imapmail%\" | passwd cyrus --stdin >/dev/null 2>&1");
print "OK. \n";

chmod 750 do_compte;
./do_compte;

Any ideas

Thanks

Shane

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
imap
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:18:40 AM »
I had a working installation of this Cyrus rpm. But after applying the upgrade script 'smeplus' found on this site, I got the exact same problem. There must be an upgrade to apply for cyrus (?).
Sophie from Montréal

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 06:55:48 PM »
Quote from: "shanen"
Hi all,
I have been playing with the Cyrus IMAP script

I'm curious as to why. In what way do you think Cyrus IMAP is preferably to dovecot?

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Cyrus over Dovecot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 10:26:34 PM »
Cyrus can manage shared folders. This is a main feature as far as i'm concerned.

For example, I've set hylafax to send the received faxes to a user named "fax" and I allow some (or all) users to access this user's box.

I can also have a mail folder to place objects to be seen by everyone or a group, about the same way I can deal with folders for files.

By using a connector like Toltec ou InsightConnector, I can have Outlook to manage a shared calendar ou a shared address book.

The uses of this server are so important that I just can't understand why it's not already included in the package. Probably to allow for an easier switching from pop and imap (?).

Besides, the new Kolab project is using this Cyrus and many developpers are working on connectors. So my humble advise is that SME server 'must' include this and if it does not, it will loose users to other more  'collaborative' oriented servers. Thunderbird, EGroupware and others are handling shared folders... but not on a SME-Server.
Sophie from Montréal

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Cyrus RPM
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 10:38:38 PM »
The only package I know that installs the Cyrus Server is from Mr. Lionel Dubrus, and the files were offered by  
http://www.westcountrybusiness.com/.

On Ixus's forum, there are a few posts concerning this server.

E-Smith developers were talking about it but they seemed to dislike ACL. Being not a developer, I don't know what are those possible problems, but there must be a way.

Pleaaaaaase !
Sophie from Montréal

shanen

Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 12:32:31 AM »
Hi Charlie,
I am very happy with the implementation of the current IMAP features using thunderbird as the client. It is lightning fast and feature rich. It gives me IMAP folders for sent and deleted items where as Outlook insists on placing them in "personal folders"

However I would like to offer an alternative for clients who need features built into the likes of Lotus Domino and Exchange. Shared address books would be a welcomed addition to the distribution as well as shared folders.

Most users look horrified when you tell them you are going to take their outlook away from them and some of the more difficult ones will just dig their heels in and become a support nightmare. If I can give them some additional features then maybe I can convince them to try Thunderbird.
For the people that won't change, they will have to purchase an outlook connector.

I would be very interested in what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks

Shane

dave_d

Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 04:22:08 PM »
Being faced with having to produce a solution to the MS Exchange Server clone problem, I came across this thread and was much enthused by the facilities apparently offered by Cyrus.
As I tend towards the 'try it first' method of system integration I got hold of the package offered by fellow SME enthusiast at West Country Business and installed it on my SME6 test box.
It seems that things generally work but there are a few issues that I thought I would try and solve before going back to my client with 'the solution to his problem'.  Things like language, typeface, etc. - all things that one ought to be able to modify quite quickly and easily.
However, in my enthusiasm to get to the testing phase I omitted to check the scripts provided to see if there was an 'uninstall' script so that I could back out of any installation cleanly. (If modifications to software are to be made my years of experience tell me that installing/uninstalling becomes almost routine after a couple of days!) Alas!, it seems that there isn't such a script and so I'm stuck with what I've got.
Before I embark on figuring out how to do an 'uninstall', can anyone suggest a quick and easy way for me to get back to the stock mail configuration?
Just looking at the facilities offered by Cyrus, I think it's worth my while pursuing for a while - unless anyone can suggest an alternative?

Regards,

Dave

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 04:49:21 PM »
Personally, I do not recommend this package for clients because it might not survive the coming updates to the server. For example, after applying the 'smeplus' update, the Cyrus broke because it could not authenticate anymore. The developper (Lionel Dubrus) is nowhere to be found and nobody picked it up.

There are some things to fix like a better server-manage panel, a better way for backups and a way to make it survive upgrades. In other word, it should come as an option in the SME-Server package or it should replace dovecot.

Again, the community does not seem to realize the importance of this 'folder sharing' thing. Other distros are using Cyrus and it's becoming the real thing!!

The available package for Cyrus was derived from posts in a forum and was not intended to be a 'standard' package (more a tweak that a package). This is indicated in the package itself.

That is why I think someone would have to pick it up from there and make it a 'standardized' package.

This would be a great feature and would bring SME-Server on the same level as other systems.
Sophie from Montréal

dave_d

Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 05:51:03 PM »
Fair comments!  I suppose the next question to ask - before I apply any more effort to this problem - is Cyrus or Dovecot?  I see from a recent post concerning the Liquoris roadmap that dovecot is due to be fully integrated.  If that's the case I guess my best option is - wait!!!! (I do that well!).

Regards,

Dave

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 07:35:44 PM »
Waiting for dovecot to be fully incoporated is not much to me since it does not support shared folders. If I knew for sure that Cyrus wouldn't work anymore on e-smith, I'd switch to an other system. And I'll be researching for that in the new few days because of lack of interest in the contribs.org community for this mail server.

Kolab offers a good solution and it won't be difficult to find a disto to be setup as a mail server. It's also working on Clark Connect for example...
Sophie from Montréal

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 10:08:51 PM »
Did anyone of you do a search and find this:
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=23628.0

Seems that it is procmail that causes problems with cyrus, but there seems to be a solution.

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 12:05:15 AM »
No the trouble is not the same. After upgrading some of us are getty an error about authentication with the server.
Sophie from Montréal

dave_d

Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 02:05:57 PM »
I go with Soprom here - it's the shared folders thing.
Unfortunately, we server administrators have to understand that NOTHING will cause the average PC user to stray from Windoze.  It matters not one jot how bad the system is or how much additional software has to be installed to protect Windoze - they just want Windoze and Office. (I saw a toungue-in-cheek story once about Windows .vs. a Chrysler motor car that said it all but I don't have a copy).  Anyway, the fact of the matter is that I guess it'll be several years before the average punter feels able to remove the Windoze dummy and start using real systems. (with some notable exceptions, BTW!)
In the meantime, if we're to retain our sanity and not be forced to start implementing MS Exchange servers and the like, the requirement for shared folders is rapidly getting near the top of the 'absolutely required' list.  To that end, if I get enough time in the New Year, I'll see if the bundle from West Country Business can be enhanced far enough to become acceptable as a plug-in for V6.
In the meantime, has anyone with any influence raised this matter with Liquoris?  I don't mind doing this but a contact email address would help! As the new owners/developers of SME server I guess it'll be up to them to decide what does into the 'mainstram' release.  It would just be nice if they did what the users want - cuts down on effort, don't you know :-D

Dave

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »
I would be very curious to get Charlie Brady's feedback about these posts. Does he feel that we raised some interesting points? Does Charlie feel that the Kolab server is something that can be adapted for the SME-Server?
Sophie from Montréal

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Cyrus IMAP
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 07:36:39 PM »
Quote from: "soprom"
No the trouble is not the same. After upgrading some of us are getty an error about authentication with the server.

I would search on google for:
cyrus "Login failed: authentication failure"

This seems to provide info on something similar to the error you are getting:
http://www.webservertalk.com/message199003.html
 - it talks about DB4 being the problem - that is included in the update script as part of the apache upgrade - you could comment that out of the upgrade script for your own install.

I also found some newer cyrus-sasl/db4 rpms here:
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/testing/7.3/postfix2/
Relaated documentation here:
http://freshrpms.net/docs/mail-server/

Good luck, and if you do find a solution please post a message in the update script thread as well.