Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Usable LDAP addressbook under SME

Damian

« on: December 09, 2004, 08:49:13 PM »
I've trawled for this for some time now and haven't found an answer yet.

I'm looking for a simple address/email contact add-on for SME that allows users to add incoming email senders to be added to a global addressbook, accessible by all local users.

So, if fred@home.com sends me a mail I want to be able to save fred's address on SME server in a publicly viewable list. Best thing would be if I could then search for fred later via  my LDAP contacts in Mozilla Mail/Netscape/whatever.

I'm trying to get to the point where client PCs can store their email on SME (already can via IMAP access) AND store their addressbooks there too instead of mucking about with PST files.

Damian

bobk

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 10:55:15 PM »
Take a look at smeserver-ldap-contacts: global address list

HowTo
http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/LDAP%20contacts

Forum Discussion
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=23143.0

Damian

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:19:50 AM »
Thanks Bob.

I will  :-)

Damian

egerards

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 11:40:11 AM »
Some time ago I had a look at smeserver-ldap-contacts. Although a nice package, there are still a few bugs in the package. I reported them to the author, but got unfortunatelly no response.

FYI a summary of what I found:
- Records are imported from a csv formatted file. Every hour a cronjobs checks whether this file is modified a should do a re-import. Unfortunatelly a non existent script is called and this mechanism does not work. You can still do a manual import from the server manager.
- The import function does not work 100%: every record is checked before actually imported, however this check has bugs: email addresses with domain names existing of more than two parts (e.g. @name.co.uk) are skipped.
- Although I don't remember the details anymore, certain kind of entries in the csv file cause the import to hang which results in a partially imported list.

As a workaround for these bugs I wrote a script that processes my csv file to a so called ldif file and imported this ldif file with a webbased ldap admin program. I you want more details, please let me know.

mbachmann

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 11:57:41 AM »
I tried to access the ldap with Thunderbird 1.0 and attempted a manual download with the info from server-mgr-directory:

The LDAP server provides a network-available listing of the user accounts and groups on your server [...] Configure your LDAP client with the local IP address of your server, port number 389, and the server root parameter shown below.
Server root:    dc=intern,dc=domain,dc=de

The ldap setting is very hidden in TB. Only after hitting "Existing users: update with new defaults" in server-mgr i got a login screen from TB but after providing credentials it does not download the adresses. Where can i check further what's going wrong?

Damian

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 12:19:28 PM »
I did the install on our test server and it goes in OK.

As far as I can see it requires our users to ssh onto the server and use vi to add a new contact. Otherwise they could forward the email to me and I could take said actions.

Not exactly usable unless I'm missing something ...

Damian

mbachmann

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 12:29:33 PM »
Lucky you, Damian. The adresses are being downloaded to your local TB adressbook after logging in? Why you and not me?

The bad thing is, you cannot add an adress with TB to the LDAP. I've seen an ldap php admin tool from MasterSleepy, maybe that's of use for you: sme-phpldapadmin-0.1-1MstSlp.noarch.rpm --> http://www.vanhees.cc/

Damian

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 12:35:07 PM »
Ah-ha, I didn't say it worked for me, just that it installed OK :-?

The default /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/files/Global_Contacts.txt doesn't exist and the format isn't exactly clear (as I don't use outlook I can't save it out). I created an empty file at that location so that the panel would accept the settings without erroring but that's about it.

BTW I still use Mozilla 1.6 as I found Tbird a bit slow.

Anyhow, I'll look at MasterSleepy

Thanks,

Damian

Damian

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 12:48:48 PM »
OK, I see where that's going. A heavy duty ldap admin tool (does just what it says) which will scares the pants off the users (ldap-what ???)  :lol:

Hhhmmmmm. You know when you have a mail come in and you want to add that user to your addressbook. You right click on it and select "Add to addressbook" or similar. That's what I'm looking for.

I know that just 'cos I'm looking for it that it doesn't mean that it exists.

Damian

mbachmann

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 01:00:47 PM »
O.K., same question, other words: Are you able to connect to your SME's LDAP with wichever mailclient you prefer using port 389, your server ip and dc=what dc=you dc=want provided form server-manager/directory?

Damian

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 02:56:30 PM »
It seems I can't.

Settings....

Hostname: cognoscente.no-ip.org
Base DN: dc=cognoscente,dc=no-ip,dc=org
Port: 389
Bind DN: (blank)

I can't see any users.

This worked previously but it might have been when we were using SuSE EmailServer II.

Damian

cydonia

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
It seems that SME is quite limited when it comes to making use of LDAP in an SME environment.

I have tried to do the same to no avail, you can't authenticate against SME's ldap either.

Fingers crossed for the next release...:)

mbachmann

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 10:49:25 AM »
Right, i can authenticate but i see see no users either like Damian. Thanks for the proof, cydonia.

As it seems to be defunct: before i file a bug - which versions are you running (mine is 6.0.1-01 with

• e-smith-ldap-4.10.0-03
  • perl-perl-ldap-0.31-1
  • php-ldap-4.3.8-1db
  • openldap-2.0.27-2.7.3es
  • openldap-clients-2.0.27-2.7.3es
  • openldap-servers-2.0.27-2.7.3es

cydonia

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »
To be honest, i'm not experienced enough in Linux to know what the problem is.  If you believe it is a bug, please do file a bug notice:

I am running:
openldap-2.0.27-2.7.3es
openldap-clients-2.0.27-2.7.3es
php-ldap-4.3.9-3ld
perl-perl-ldap-0.22-10
openldap-servers-2.0.27-2.7.3es
e-smith-ldap-4.10.0-03

For the record, it seems to be an issue with remote access to SME's LDAP info.  Since you can obtain ldap info for sending emails from within IMP Webmail installed on local server.

Also, when i was refering to authenticating against the ldap server, i was talking about website authentication, with php to be precise.

Let me know what you think.
Tristan

Offline hmuhammad

• +0/-0
Announcement of package update
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2005, 06:40:23 AM »
Announcement of package update to...
  smeserver-ldap-contacts-0.3.1-01hm

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=25397.0