Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

New contrib for SME (Network Fax Server)

gla

« on: September 06, 2004, 11:39:06 PM »
Hi all,

The SMERP project announce its first SME Server module.
we have just releasing a complete fax server with panels, templates, etc....
The contrib is based on the project Hylafax 4.1.8

This contrib allows to configure, and use a fax network server without particular knowledge under Linux, and is faithful to the e-smith spirit

The user can send and receive faxes since his machine with simple office software, without installing any application on the workstation.
The unique action to be realized on the local workstation is the installation of a postcript driver pointing a virtual SAMBA printer on the SME Server.

This version of the module is in beta-test, please do not use it on a production server.

You will find rpm, sources and documentation at the following URL http://smerp.free.fr/ in the download section.

The module is available in french & english.
A spanish version is in progress.

English version of the documentation will arrive soon... and it's not writing by me  ;-)

bobk

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:30:33 AM »
Will this rpm up-date an existing installation of hylafax or will the existing instalation need to be completely uninstalled first?

The existing installation was done on SME 6.0.1 using D. May's dmc-mitel-hylafax-pkg-4.1.5-1.noarch.rpm then updated with hylafax-4.1.7-1rh7.i386. Configuration was accomplished using Ed Form's howto located at http://www.workgroupsolutions.co.uk.

gla

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:39:09 AM »
I think it's better to uninstall your hylafax first.
I never try to update, but I install some other stuff (ghostscript, metamail, libtiff...) and I'm affraid that you will have some problem with that or you can have conflict problem between panel/template and other.

But first of all, I think it's really important to install this contrib on a test machine to understand how it works, and which kind of functionality it provides.

mbachmann

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:50:56 PM »
Best to install cups contrib beforehand because libtiff, ghostscript et alii included in cups.

The "now you will have to run /tmp/SMERPFax.ins/SMERPFax_ins.sh" at the end of the install routine is very likely to be overseen.

Installation went flawlessly. On config changes of the panel it does not return to itself, there is just a white page and you'll have to click on "Fax Server" again, a little irritating. The fax printer is there. Nice.

I see the pdf manual (only) in french, luckily i can it better than speak.

Now i'm searching an old faxmodem...

FaxGetty[3194]: MODEM U.S. ROBOTICS SPORTSTER FLASH 56000 REV. 10.3.80 5601

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.scanmailx.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 04:04:13 PM »
Hi Gla,

Why don't you place the install script inside the RPM so that everything is installed automatically during the rpm -Uvh?

/Knuddi

gla

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 06:16:20 PM »
Quote from: "mbachmann"

On config changes of the panel it does not return to itself, there is just a white page and you'll have to click on "Fax Server" again, a little irritating.

It's a bug, I will correct this soon. thx

I see the pdf manual (only) in french, luckily i can it better than speak.

The en/us documentation will arrive next week

gla

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 06:19:45 PM »
Quote from: "Knuddi"
Hi Gla,

Why don't you place the install script inside the RPM so that everything is installed automatically during the rpm -Uvh?

/Knuddi

Because I put the other rpm inside mine, and I don't know how to install them !

you can't type rpm - ivh MyRPM.x.y and inside some other rpm to install with the same command.
(but maybe, it exists a special option ??)

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.scanmailx.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 06:58:52 PM »
In your .spec file you can add a section called %post in which you can add the exact same script as you expect the users to call after rpm -ivh *.rpm

In below example I restart the crond deamon. The only thing you have to remember is that you need full path to alll funtions.

%post

# restart Crond to activate the clean queue script
/sbin/service crond restart

/jesper

Offline charlien

• +0/-0
    • http://www.rn-computing.com
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 11:49:14 PM »
Does this fax solution deal with cover pages?

mbachmann

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 10:14:11 AM »
Are you kidding, Charlien? http://www.hylafax.org/FAQ/

gla

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 10:24:38 AM »
Quote from: "Knuddi"
In your .spec file you can add a section called %post in which you can add the exact same script as you expect the users to call after rpm -ivh *.rpm

In below example I restart the crond deamon. The only thing you have to remember is that you need full path to alll funtions.

%post

# restart Crond to activate the clean queue script
/sbin/service crond restart

/jesper

thx, but I already try that... I think you can't call rpm command in the post section of a rpm.

mbachmann

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 10:47:07 AM »
Gla, i offer my help in translating the french pdf SMERPFax: Serveur de fax en réseau (FR).

gla

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 11:48:28 AM »
Gla, i offer my help in translating the french pdf SMERPFax: Serveur de fax en réseau (FR).

Thanks a lot.
Our translator is very busy at the moment
She's translating the web site.

mbachmann

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 02:38:26 PM »
I am halfway through. Expect it at mid of this week.

cydonia

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 07:27:01 AM »
Is this rpm the best current option for using SME to send/recieve faxes?

Faxing using computers/modems is still new to me, I have looked into Hylafax in the past but since this was made specifically for SME, it sounds great.