Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

VPN confusion question

VPN confusion question
« on: May 06, 2004, 06:44:12 PM »
Hello,
I have one I am a bit stumped on.
At one town there is a E-Smith Server that is set to accept VPN connections.
At the other town is a small office that has three pc's on an adsl connection behind a d-link di-704p router.
If we use one of the PC's to connect to the first store with a windows 2000 VPN connection, it connects fine, and the user can map the network drive etc.
If a second user in the same building tries to connect his vpn it will not work it 619's.
Is this because they are both on the same network trying to vpn? (they are using seperate accounts/users)
We need the three pc's there to be able to each map to a network share at the main office.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

VPN confusion question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 08:40:48 PM »
sounds like simultaneous connections is set to "0".

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
VPN confusion question
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 09:29:31 PM »
This is a problem with PPTP VPN regardless of implementation. You cannot create multiple connections from the same IP to the same VPN server. Site to Site (router to router) VPN is your only option in this case. The easiest way to do it is to buy a pair of VPN capable routers. My favorite is Netgear FVS 318 (<$150). Put one in the remote office and one in the central office. If 8 VPN connections is not enough for the central office, use FVM318 (72 VPN connections) (<$300).
You could of course put the second SME in the remote office and spend a lot of time trying to make server-to-server VPN between them, but its not going to be cheaper, easier or more reliable anyway.

Offline briank

• +0/-0
VPN confusion question
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 12:05:41 AM »
Hi - Boris is right but may be simple to put an SME at the other end. I use PPTP-Client to create a VPN tunnel between two SME servers, then anyone on either n/w can see anyone else.
I have documented this in an earlier post. Very easy to set up and works well except occasionally the tunnel is dropped and someone has to restart it - never got to the bottom of why this happens.
Good luck
Brian K

Offline Neririn

• +0/-0
Is there really no way
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »
Is there really no way to have simultaneous connections from multiple machines behind the same router to an E-smith box?

Anonymous

VPN confusion question
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 02:20:51 AM »
Quote from: "briank"
Hi - Boris is right but may be simple to put an SME at the other end. I use PPTP-Client to create a VPN tunnel between two SME servers, then anyone on either n/w can see anyone else.
I have documented this in an earlier post. Very easy to set up and works well except occasionally the tunnel is dropped and someone has to restart it - never got to the bottom of why this happens.
Good luck
Brian K

Brian, whould you be so kind of posting the link of that documented conecction achievement?
I' cant connecto two sme (fixed ip both sides) and I have not a clue whats going wrong. seems that the packets from eachother server are being dropped since the first initial cvpn connection.

Offline briank

• +0/-0
VPN confusion question
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 06:58:48 PM »
My quick & dirty howto is at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~brian/pptplinuxclient.htm
Regards
Brian

alejandro

VPN confusion question
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 02:24:06 AM »
Brian:
many many thanks for your answer.
i'll give it a test on both sides sme 6.01
and post the results as soon as possible.
Ale