Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 5.6, 6.0 and Promise FastTrak S150 TX2Plus

forumuser7

« on: March 25, 2004, 06:49:33 AM »
Hi,

I have a problem similar to ltc6netspec's problem.

I have a server with Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus RAID controller with 2 mirrored HDDs.
I have downloaded the drivers for RedHat 7.3, 8.0 and 9 from www.promise.com.
I want to install SME 5.6 or 6.x but the installation fails bacause i don't know how to make SME to use these drivers.

I was able to install RedHat 7.3 and RedHat 9 using "expert" install mode and providing the RAID drivers in the begining of the installation.

How can I make SME to use Promis RAID drivers?

Any ideas? Any help?
Thank you in advance!

cc_skavenger

TX2 Raid Card
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 08:18:07 AM »
The only way I have been able to make this work is to boot off of an install floppy and install that way.  THe drives will work after you install on them.

HTH

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 06:42:48 PM »
Thank you for the post cc_skavenger!

How do I create an install floppy?

>The only way I have been able to make this work is >to boot off of an install floppy and install that >way. THe drives will work after you install on them.
>HTH

forumuser7

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 09:03:38 PM »
Hi,
Here is the message that e-smith displays in the begining of the installation:
"No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually
choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?
Yes/No"

I answered YES but instead of prompt for diskette with the drivers I got the next message :

"An error has occured - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems.
Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem"

Is there a way to make "expert" install with SME 6.0
(expert option is available in RedHat 7.3)
and provide device drivers?
Is there any other way to provide device drivers during install?

Thank you for the help in advance!

Offline jester

• +1/-0
Drivers for FasTrak S150 TX2 plus
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 12:49:08 PM »
Hello,

I don't know if this will help, and i am kind of a linux/SME newbie, but i got the drivers compiled for this FastTrak card.

I've done this a few months ago, so i can't really tell you how exactly i've done it. I downloaded the dev-tools (SME6.0) for compiling your own drivers and got the source-files from the promise site. Reading al the manuals.... lots of problems and sweat, but got things working finally....

I don't know if it wil work (like is said: i'm new to Linux/SME) but i can send you the .o -driver file.

-jester-

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 05:33:34 AM »
Quote from: "forumuser7"

Is there a way to make "expert" install with SME 6.0
(expert option is available in RedHat 7.3)
and provide device drivers?

I got it to work on 5.6 by creating a boot floppy from /images/boot.img on the installation cd, then editing syslinux.cfg on the floppy and changing the line
Code: [Select]
prompt 0
to
Code: [Select]
prompt 1

Then boot from the floppy and type "accept dd" at the boot: prompt and you're away. Note I'm not sure how well this works since the driver disk I used didn't work...

- steve

Kelvin

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »
Hi forumuser7,

The standard drivers you got from Promise for RH 7.3, 8, etc. will not work with SME as SME does not use the same kernel as the standard RH GPL download distros. You will need to have a driver compiled for the specific kernel used by the version of SME you wish to install. Search the forums for Highpoint and Promise and you should see plenty of postings regarding the problem of drivers and kernel mismatches.

Kelvin