Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

restore won't work

Jon

restore won't work
« on: July 18, 2001, 10:41:50 AM »
I am tring to restore on a new reinstall of 4.1.2  over a LAN and with IE 5.5 all I get is a server error page. with netscape 4.77 it acts like it will work then it has an error "connection reset by peer". with netscape 6.01 all I get is an error.
Is there any other way to restore such as FTP or anything else? Do I have a permissions problem somewhere?
I need to get my website back up as soon as possible :)
Thanks in advance.

Hsing-Foo

Re: restore won't work
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2001, 10:12:15 PM »
Hi,

Me too!. I made a backup to desktop (esmithsg.bak) and installes e-smith fresh.
When I try to restore, I get nothing....

1. I select 'restore from desktop'
2. I select the correct restore file
3. I 'click' perform, and nothing happens.

My questions are?

1. Does restore from desktop work (for when I use the text mode browser on the console, I see 'not implemented yet' ???
2. Is there a way to get files from the backup file manually, for I need info (mail) from this badly.

Any suggetstions are welcome.

Thanks!

Justin Lee

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2001, 01:23:38 AM »
It did the same thing for me.  It did however work.  If after you invoke the restore goto the server and see if the hard drive activity light is flashing any.  When I did the restore mine flashed about once a second while the file was being transfered and then one the server started loading in the file it had much more activity.  The browser came up with some sort of error i think it said unable to deisplay page.  But pay close attention to the hard drive light and after it stops reboot the server and if you have a monitor attached to the server you will see a blue screen come up saying that the configuration is being updated.  If the backup did not work you will get a screen saying a partial restore had occured and that the system is unstable.  The only way to correct this is by going through the initial setup.  Usually all your settings are still there you just need to hit enter to go to the next page and let the server update and reboot if necessary and try loading the backup in again.

Hope this helps

Justin

Hsing-Foo

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2001, 01:53:40 AM »
Hi,

At last it worked (the desktop restore).

Funny thing is I did not do anything special at all, except for changing my e-smith local IP address. After changing the local IP address it worked like a charm!

It ook a few secs (2 Mb) and everything was restored.

I don't know what is the matter, but just to let you know.

Regards.