Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

DNS not working after upgrade

Ron

DNS not working after upgrade
« on: March 17, 2003, 06:35:02 PM »
I upgraded 5.6Unsupported with the upgrade.  Now my real domain does not resolve internally.  Virtural domain is working fine.  I tried post-upgrade and rebooted again but still not working on main domain.  I checked the logs I see this message:

journal rollforward failed: journal out of sync with zone

What does this mean? How to correct?

Any help appreciated.

Ron

Jehu

Re: DNS not working after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 01:47:27 AM »
I had the same problem...from what I have seen from my post it seems to be a bug.
I reinstall the server in order to fix it.

Good Luck,

Jehu

gbl

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 09:54:14 AM »
This is a bug.

You have to edit /etc/resolve.conf

Ron

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 06:29:09 PM »
I checked the file resolv.conf and it looks ok....domain is correct and nameserver is loopback address 127.0.0.1  

Is this what it should be?

gbl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 08:33:38 PM »
If you want resolve Internet Hosts like www.e-smith.org, you have to enter the IP-Address of your Internet Service Provider.

gbl

Charlie Brady

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 12:05:09 AM »
gbl wrote:

> If you want resolve Internet Hosts like www.e-smith.org, you
> have to enter the IP-Address of your Internet Service Provider.

Please do not spread misinformation. The nameserver address of 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf is correct. The SME server includes a caching name server, and can resolve names by looking up names starting with the Internet's root name servers, and working its way down the tree. It does not need to use the DNS servers of the ISP.

Ron will need to define more precisely what  "does not resolve internally"
means if someone is to help him.

Regards

Charlie

Ron

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 02:34:44 AM »
Thanks Charlie,

Here is the detail I hope you are looking for.  After Update 2 on 5.6unsupported I could no longer ping my main domain on the SME server itself.  The virtual domain was fine....could ping fine.  The main domain came back with host unknown error message.  This was on the SME server itself.  Clients behind the SME could not get to the main server by the domain name.  Virtual Domain was fine.  

I have it working now but would like to know if I may have caused other issues.  I copied the db.maindomain.com file in /home/dns/var/named directory and the db.maindomain.com.jnl file to something else then deleted both files.  I then ran a post-upgrade again and rebooted.  Now a new db.maindomain.com file has been created but no .jnl file.   Now I can ping my main domain again, also proxy, www, mail, etc.  I am not sure what the .jnl file is for.  

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron