Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Groupware

Sandy Gibbs

Groupware
« on: July 09, 2002, 07:02:34 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience installing any of the various groupware programs for linux to an e-smith server and if so how was the experience?

Nodch

Re: Groupware
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 02:04:17 PM »
I testet various groupware systems on the SME 5.1.2 server

For an example phpgroupware, sherpath and twig.
Every single system had it own advantages, but it depends on what you are looking for and what you need it to do.

phpgroupware was out final choice because of the infolog, where you can add information to each contact (in our case customers). This way you have access to the information regarding that customer at every time and you can see when someone gave the customer a call or send informations or whatever.

For just a solution to be able to mail and have a groupcalendar where you can see who is available at a certain time, I personally would choose sherpath.

As I said, it depends on what you would like to do with your groupware.

Michel Jung

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 06:45:15 PM »
We're using phpgroupware instead of twig where it was not possible to search through contacts - which will be a problem of finding anything if you have 400 contacts.

Michael JungNodch wrote:

Mark S

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2002, 08:54:24 PM »
I'd sure like to get WebCalendar installed.  Have been trying without luck.  This seems to have the most features for what I need.

http://linux91.ma.utexas.edu/i/index.html

ryan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 03:18:54 AM »
I have Twiggi 1.10.3 and PHPprojekt installed on 5.1.2.  I really like Twiggi's appearance and it integrates with your existing SME users (for calendar, not LDAP contacts).    PHPprojekt has additional features such as forum and project management.  Unfortunately, you have to create users and passwords that are seperate from SME users.  To put it simplyI uninstalled PHPprojekt.

I have been looking at PHPGroupware.  This is definately the golden child of packages I have seen.  Its appearance is sweet, but it appears there is a learning curve to all of its features.  I also have not attpempted the install as I have not found adequate documentation for SME 5.1.2 installation.  This package appears to have it all.  

Just about anyone will be comfortable with Twiggi.  It provides the MS Exchange services so many are addicted to.  Good luck.

RS

guestHH

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 02:28:05 PM »
Ryan,

There certainly is a learning curve to PHPgroupware, but that is because it has so _many_ featues.

The beauty of it is that you can switch off the unneeded/unwanted functionalitys. Or grant access to just the people that really use it.

I think the learing curve for the 'basic' groupware apps out there is about the same.

I'm playing with PHPgroupware for now, it's fun.

Regards,
guestHH

ryan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 10:43:43 AM »
RequestedDeletion,

You wouldn't happen to have a How-To to get PHPgroupware running on 5.1.2 would you?  

RS

guestHH

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 11:52:19 AM »

Russell

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2002, 06:44:28 PM »
Thanks for that,

Just one really dumb question, in SME is there a user www?
I am a little unsure of working out what users are there by default.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2002, 06:44:33 PM »
Thanks for that,

Just one really dumb question, in SME is there a user www?
I am a little unsure of working out what users are there by default.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

guestHH

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2002, 07:11:00 PM »
yep, there is a www user. It's not an ordinary user like you and me ;-)

It's a system account, there are many of them which you will not see, but they are there. Sometimes you need them to give them permissions like in this case.

Don't worry just do as described.

Regards,
guestHH

Russell

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2002, 07:29:57 PM »
Thanks,
I will hit it as soon as I get to work tomorrow morning

Russell

guestHH

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2002, 10:00:51 PM »
I must say that I'm wondering about the performance.

Sometimes it's well on speed, but _many_ times it very slow. Accessing a link can take up to a minute on my local lan.
My server is a 800Mhz machine with 320Mb, so that shouldn't be the problem.

While I'm waiting I access the console to see what's goin on. I see httpd and mysql eat some resources (max 15%) and that's it. I hear my HD working like hell though. And that is on different srvers.

Question in general, how can i determine wht's goin on at that moment, causing the service (server) being slow..?

the app is using php, mysql

Regards,
guestHH

Paul T.C.Fung

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2002, 01:46:38 PM »
Try "Sherpath" is has a RPM for SME server, have Franch and English.

http://www.sherpath.org

It is quit good, but don't try to use the Admin Account to weight its proformance, all other account are quit fast, but if you use the "admin" account, it is slow.....

Franch word may appear here and there, but if you del the "fr" dir, every things work fine.

The RPM will install the groupware in /opt/spgroupware/sherpath with SSL(https) done for you. Easy and simple.

I just fininsh to change the whole interface into Chinese (zh-hk) and my uses like it very much !!

Best Regards,

Paul T.C.Fung

Nate

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2002, 06:23:48 AM »
I have the same trouble with it being really slow on a 100 switched network.  Twiggi is really fast though.  Any idea why?