Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Last known good config

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
Re: Last known good config
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Ok. I am now out of office. With all of ur support, the first task is on Monday to restart the server. Hope u all will be with me if any problem occurs. Thanks for all

guest22

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
You need to let your time zone and starting business hour. Otherwise you also want to login to IRC #SMEServer on freenode.

As always, no guarantees!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »
Should he be looking for those pointers?

Yes, that is exactly what he should be looking for. And if he finds any, go into the configure menu, reverse them, and continue through to the reboot.

Offline Frank VB

• +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
smnirosh

If you're nog getting anywhere with the messages log, it's time to get your feet wet. Go through the console and note all the current settings of your server (servername, domain, server/gateway mode, ip address, subnet, gateway, DHCP settings, etc...). Copy the 20 "messages.yyyymmddhhmmss" log files to a separate directory on your server so that you can safekeep them for analysis later if necessary (log files get overwritten after some time). Then reboot your server. Believe us, it will not come crashing down.

After rebooting (which could take a couple of minutes, so be patient), start testing your network. First test whether your server has internet connection. You can test this in the console: select the "3. Test Internet Access" menu item, it's a harmless test. If the test succeeds then proceed with (re)starting up a Windows client in your network. Does this client have internet connection? Yes, then that's good. If the client doesn't have a network connection, find out what IP address and subnet mask it is actually using and what gateway is set (you are familiar with the Windows command line, in particular the "ipconfig" command?). Use the "ping" command to ping the IP address of your server/gateway. Report back to the forum your findings, and as said earlier by others, be very verbose.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 03:10:48 AM »
smnirosh (& all FYI)

I tried to emulate your problem (at least one of the changes you were able to advise us that you made).
I logged into the console as admin & ran Configure this server
I stepped through all the screens changing none, until the DHCP IP range screens.
I then changed the start IP from 192.168.3.10 to 192.168.3.11 & the end IP from 192.168.3.20 to 192.168.3.21.
Then I backed out of the process (repeatedly selecting back), right back to the console menu.
When I selected Exit, I then received the warning message about needing to reboot etc.

So this is the first log excerpt from /var/log/messages, which I obtained very easily from the server manager View log files page, & went to the very end of that file as this was the most recent event that was recorded. It correlates with the date entry for the time of day that I did this change.

Code: [Select]
Aug 30 10:15:30 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD UnsavedChanges=no
Aug 30 10:15:30 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW UnsavedChanges=yes
Aug 30 10:15:30 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.20|start|192.168.3.10|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:15:30 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.20|start|192.168.3.11|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:15:35 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.20|start|192.168.3.11|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:15:35 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.21|start|192.168.3.11|status|enabled

Then I logged in as admin again, & repeated the above process, but changed the start & end DHCP IP range settings back to original values ie 192.168.3.10 & 192.168.3.20

Here is the log excerpt showing that change

Code: [Select]
Aug 30 10:18:57 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[9042]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.21|start|192.168.3.11|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:18:57 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[9042]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.21|start|192.168.3.10|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:19:03 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[9042]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.21|start|192.168.3.10|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:19:03 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[9042]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.20|start|192.168.3.10|status|enabled

So if you are able to work out roughly what date you made changes, even if it is approximately between one date & another date a few days later, then at least you can look by date through the messages log file (& archived older versions) & find similar looking entries, which should then inform you what the original settings were.

Note that I only had to look in the most recent messages log file. Log files are rotated/archived when they get to a certain size/age & new ones are created, so you may need to look in older versions of the "messages" log files in order to find the changes you made, depending on how long ago (date) you made the changes, & how busy your server is (log entry activity).

eg in the server manager (what you are calling the web page), in View log files panel, in the Choose a log file to view field, it will display "messages" by default. If I click the arrow next to the file name displayed, I see a list of names, & if I scroll down just a little bit, there are many other iterations of the messages log file (ie older versions)
eg
the most recent
& then older ones until the limit of archives retained is reached (oldest first, newest last)
messages.20150802220156
messages.20150822011209
messages.20150825180350
messages.20150829011209

You can see the date displayed in year month day format immediately after the name eg
messages . 2015 08 25 xxxxxx

Mine go back a month or so, so you have a good chance of finding the changes you made, assuming it was only a week or so ago.

Your original post was dated August 26, 2015, 08:09:23 AM
So just go back through the various log files BEFORE that date & time (or your equivalent time in the part of the world you are in) & assuming you only made the changes in the few days before you posted your request, then you should be able to find what you are looking for.
You have an example of what to look for using my entries as a guide.
If you know how to do filtering of the log file (in the same View log files panel), then that may help you to narrow down the results, but be careful not to exclude what you are searching for by using inappropriate filtering conditions.

Good luck

Edit:
PS
In the View log files panel, you can put a single keyword in the Filter pattern (Optional) field
if you filter one at a time on
NEW
or
UnsavedChanges=yes

You will get the correlating abovementioned entries displayed
eg
with NEW as the filter term

......on my server a lot of other various unrelated entries and.....
Aug 30 10:15:30 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW UnsavedChanges=yes
Aug 30 10:15:30 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.20|start|192.168.3.11|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:15:35 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[8975]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.21|start|192.168.3.11|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:18:57 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[9042]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.21|start|192.168.3.10|status|enabled
Aug 30 10:19:03 pasta /sbin/e-smith/console[9042]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW dhcpd=service|Bootp|deny|end|192.168.3.20|start|192.168.3.10|status|enabled

or

with UnsavedChanges=yes as the filter term

With that info you can find the date & time when you made changes, & then run a complete unfiltered report on the same file & scroll down to the date & time in question & see all the entries you changed.

Good luck again
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:28:09 AM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
we could also do a list of all rpms installed and install them after the restoration of the db.

I agree, 110%.. time for a NFR :-)

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 12:37:04 AM »
finally we have come to a point with a fix idea. We not gonna restart the server until the all the current meetings finished. Then we gonna come back to this topic again. All the guys who involved this, please keep in touch with me. thanks again.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 01:38:59 AM »
smnirosh

Have you extracted the original configuration settings from the log file using method I described ?
If you have unknowingly changed something, then it will be very useful to have the original information available & allow you to quickly & easily correct any errors.

You should do this ASAP while that information is still in the log files.
The longer you wait the more risk you take of losing that information when log files get overwritten.

It is safe to do a reboot, no harm will come to your data.

Keep in mind your server could crash at anytime for other reasons, necessitating a forced shutdown & restart.
If your config is wrong, then the server may not startup with the settings you require & you will be in a panic situation then.

I repeat, it really is quite safe to do a Reconfigure & Reboot, all the data on your server is retained.

The only possibility of problems I see in your situation, is  relating to basic network connectivity, & that can easily & quickly be fixed by running Configure this server & entering the correct values (which you can get from the log files now with a little effort on your part).

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »
Hi all my guys here, we restarted the server with deep fear in our hearts. It restarted without harm to status and remained the problem as it was. It is still saying "reconfigure and restart need".

We considered to restart this server for another reason. I will tell you that in a new thread.

To my opinion, i have to reconfigure this server with correct settings again.
Only fear about internet connection, DHCP, dns. Others are ok.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 02:44:27 AM »
smnirosh

we restarted the server ..... It restarted without harm to status and remained the problem as it was. It is still saying "reconfigure and restart need".

In server manager there is a panel that allows you to do a reconfigure & reboot, so I suggest you select that option, rather than just doing a restart (reboot) only.
Alternatively you can issue the following commands at the command prompt (log in as root)
signal-event post-upgrade
signal-event reboot

Then report the status of your server to us.

.....i have to reconfigure this server with correct settings again.
Only fear about internet connection, DHCP, dns.

Well firstly you are advised to retrieve those settings from log files (assuming you did change them), as per my instructions in this post
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,51899.msg264890.html#msg264890
Filtering the search as suggested should allow you to find log entries that relate to what you did.

Then at the command prompt log in as admin, select "Configure this server" from the admin console menu, & enter the correct values as you step through the screens, right to the very end & select reboot.

There is no other answer we can give you.
Please just do it, & stop reporting the same issue over & over without actually doing anything about it.
Thanks