Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Last known good config

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
Last known good config
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
How to boot linux as "last known good configuration " as we do in windows  . Or boot the server without saving last changed made? Pls help me

guest22

Re: Last known good config
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
What exactly is not working as it should?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
or, in other words, please explain your problem and not your solution, thank you

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »
Stefano, thanks for understanding the situation. I have tried to configure the server using "configure this server"  console. But after few steps i feel with my little knowledge I cannot ho ahead. I went back and back then quit from it. Then server asking a restart. I am afraid of restarting will be a disaster to the network. Thats why i want to reset this server as it was before. Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
well.. do you have the "good" parameters?

during server configuration steps you are asked a few things.. be sure to have the right ones.

restart your server, check if everything is working properly..
if not, login as root, and re-configure using the right ones, restart, you're done.

if you don't feel confortable, before "playing" with your production server, try everything on a VM.. install it, break it, try to make it work again.. that's the way you learn things :-)

in any case, we're here (and, IIRC, you know how to find me ;-) )

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »
Stefano, thanks for understanding the situation. I have tried to configure the server using "configure this server"  console. But after few steps i feel with my little knowledge I cannot ho ahead. I went back and back then quit from it. Then server asking a restart. I am afraid of restarting will be a disaster to the network. Thats why i want to reset this server as it was before. Thanks

There's no way to do what you want to do, short of restoring from backup.

If you have changed something, it will need to be changed back. You can identify any changes you have made by viewing through /var/log/messages.

guest22

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
If you have changed something, it will need to be changed back. You can identify any changes you have made by viewing through /var/log/messages.

That makes me wonder if there should be a separate log file for all db related actions.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 01:25:52 AM »
That makes me wonder if there should be a separate log file for all db related actions.

I don't think there is any need for a separate log. It is so easy to search for OLD and NEW.

guest22

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
At the same time it would be so easy to create a separate db activity log. Could also provide a nice service manager panel with history. I believe we need to make it simple for newbies or inexperienced.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:37 AM »
an alternative idea could be to create a db backup each time console is started.. and, moreover, it colud be interesting to have a "create configuration backup" from the backup page in server-manager..

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
Stefano, ur idea is good. I will try to configure backup. The "configure workstation backup" makes a backup with only settings of server?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
no.. it creates a full backup..

take a look here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config#Cloning_a_server_for_Test_purposes.2C_using_inclusion_.26_exclusion_files

you can use this approach to create a backup of all conf files..
NOTE: please be aware that playing with conf files can break your server.. YMMV, that procedure was tested/used by me many times..

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
But i thought about the media. We need a external hard disk first of all. I have no. I have space on the server itself and on a workstation within this domain. I am stucked

Offline smnirosh

• +0/-0
  • Learning never ends
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
After creating full bacup, can i use "selective file restore from workstation". Then i have ibay docs untouched. Because network users keep updating ibay

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
yes, but restoring a db conf file is not enough to restore the prior situation..

please, explain what you are trying to do/achieve, in -vv mode (very, very verbose mode), TIA