Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Getting SME 9 to recognize virtual domains

Offline Derle

• +0/-0
Getting SME 9 to recognize virtual domains
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:10:43 AM »
Hi,

I have been wrestling with this for the past week and no luck.  Perhaps someone can shed some light on why I have a fully functioning primary domain but the ibay's that are being used by the domains and host names are not available?

I can access the virtual domains by "server name/ibay name" and they pop right up on the local network.  The primary works either with the www or without but I cannot find any of the virtual domains through the web.

I have:
1) created my domains
2) Created my host names
3) Created I bays for the domains to point to

I am using  a dynamic DNS service which is apparently working as the primary domain is visible.  I suspect I am configuring the virtual domains incorrectly or missing a step in the process.  Frustrating because I have done this before but just cannot seem to find where I am going wrong with my configuration. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Earl

guest22

Re: Getting SME 9 to recognize virtual domains
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:34:02 AM »
2) Created my host names
Earl,

why did you create host names? Creating a domain and associate it with an iBay is sufficient. Of course public DNS service needs to have the new domain entries and point to your public IP. SME Server will take care of the rest.

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
What do you mean by "I cannot find any of the virtual domains through the web."?  Do you mean that you get a DNS error (Internet Explorer: "the page could not be displayed", Chrome: "this web page is not available", Firefox: "server not found") when trying to reach one of the virtual domains from outside your LAN?  If that's the case, your problem has nothing to do with your SME server configuration; it's the DNS records for your virtual domains.  You can either set up your dynamic DNS service to update the virtual domains as well, or (better) set up the DNS records for your virtual domains to be an alias (CNAME) for your main domain.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »
why did you create host names? Creating a domain and associate it with an iBay is sufficient. Of course public DNS service needs to have the new domain entries and point to your public IP

Because the public IP is a dynamic address, the virtual domains need to be CNAME records.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »
Derle

If you are using free domain names &/or do not have access to the full external DNS records for purpose of configuring CNAME records, then you could install the ddclient contrib  to manage the updating of the dynamic IP for each domain.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Derle

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »
Hi, Thanks for the replies.

RequestedDeletion, I created the domain names to access mail for each domain.  I did set the public dns records to reflect the public IP of my server but of course it is the same  for every domain.

DanB35 and CharlieBrady, I have reset the virtual domains to use cnames and guess I will have to wait a bit to see if they pick that up.

Janet, I am using the free service at NameCheap so they are my own domains and I am supposed to have full access to write the records.  We will see shortly.

I will report back and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Earl

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »
Because the public IP is a dynamic address, the virtual domains need to be CNAME records.

And you probably want two CNAME records for each domain - domain.name and www.domain.name.

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
Could you simply do *.domain.tld?

guest22

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
Could you simply do *.domain.tld?

you could, or even '*' by itself....