Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Multi Domain Email

Offline kevinbednar

• +0/-0
Multi Domain Email
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
Hey all,
I have downloaded and installed SME Server 8.1 to take a look at. The install went fine and everything is working and I can use email on the primary domain with no problem. However, I added another virtual domain to the server and pointed the mx record for that domain to the sme server. However, I can't seem to figure out how to add new users to the new domain. On the primary domain the users login as 'username' with no domain and that automatically creates an email of 'username@primarydomain.com' and this works fine. But how can I create a user for 'domain2.com' and an email of 'newuser@domain2.com' on the server? There will be times when multiple domains will have the same username for an email address, ie: bill@domain1.com and bill@domain2.com but I'm not sure how this has to be configured in Sme Server. Can someone shed some light on how this process works? It's not very intuitive form the server manager screens, and I may also be totally missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time!). TIA to all for any help!

Kevin

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
Re: Multi Domain Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
Hi Kevin

You create all your users in the user panel in the server manager. 

Each user obviously has to have their own unique login.  Mail sent to "username"@anydomainonyourserver should get through.

In the server manager there is also a "pseudonyms" link.  Here you can link mail addresses  to users.  To continue your example, you could create 2 users - bill1 & bill2.  You then create a pseudonym linking "bill@domain1.com" to bill1 and "bill@domain2.com" to bill2.

Offline kevinbednar

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave, that makes sense. I'll take a look and try it. I have another question though. How will this work with webmail? I ASSume the same as the default domain, ie: just login as 'bill1' and password and the system will automatically figure out the proper domain? I ask because I'm NOT using the default webmail (Horde), I installed the eGroupware from sme-contribs instead. Thanks!

Kevin

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
The wiki has a details HERE re your first question, actually your second question as well.
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline kevinbednar

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »
Thanks Terry, I hadn't seen that in looking around. I'll take a look now.

Kevin

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:07:46 AM »
No worries, theres a LOT in there  :)
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline kevinbednar

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:24:28 AM »
Yes there is! But so far I'm loving SME Server and have installed a bunch of the contribs as well and they add lots of great functionality!

Kevin

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 03:43:41 AM »
Well SME9.0 is getting close re beta 4 and then hopefully RC1, CentOS 6.# so a lot "newer" internals as far as package versions etc go. Which then accommodates many of the newer bits out there like a Joomla etc etc

--
qui scribit bis legit