Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mobile/Smartphones

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
Mobile/Smartphones
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
Hi,

I have SME8. Is there a way of checking emails from a droid phone?

Horde is almost impossible to use, too small and roundcube is only slightly better. What are people using? and how?

Thanks

Syv

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Mobile/Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:45 PM »
I have an iPhone, not Android, but here's how I'm setup:

1) dynDNS entry for my server's WAN IP (for use from off-site)
2) local hostname on my SME matching the dynDNS entry (for use from the local WiFi)
3) iPhone setup using IMAP over SSL and SMTP over SSL, talking to the dynDNS name of the server

My server is in server-only mode - my dynDNS entry is updated by my router.

The objective is to get DNS setup so that 'ping <my.smeserver.org>' returns your WAN IP from off-site, but returns your LAN IP from on-site.

Additionally, I use owncloud to sync contacts and calendars between my phone, apple apps, and thunderbird.

Offline ElFroggio

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »
Thanks

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
ElFroggio

You can also install DIMP and/or MIMP versions of IMP, which give an improved (dynamic) & minimalist (mobile) layout.
MIMP is good for mobiles
http://wiki.contribs.org/Mimp
DIMP is installed similarly to MIMP, follow the same instructions, just change the name to smeserver-dimp
Accessing webmail then presents you with a choice of the 3.

Otherwise as suggested, just configure your mobile phone mail client to use your SME servers SMTP & IMAPS servers, ports 465 & 993 with SSL on & password Authentication, exactly as you would configure Thunderbird or Outlook for remote access etc.
Remember to enable external (remote) access to these services in server manager email panel.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
Please look  K9, the ultimate android email client
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
You can use SOGo (http://wiki.contribs.org/Sogo) it's wonderful and WEB2.0.
For droid phones, it's better to use a DNS cname and configure your droid phones to it.

I have a cname "mail" for main domain on SME and use it as server name on phones.

Configure server to allow only secure protocols (SMTPs and IMAPs) and redirect those ports (465 and 995??) to your server. This way you can use any mobile devices to read e-mail (even tablets or iphones).

If you will use your android phone on your internal wifi network other configurations would/can be necessary.

Let me know if you need more help.

Hi,

I have SME8. Is there a way of checking emails from a droid phone?

Horde is almost impossible to use, too small and roundcube is only slightly better. What are people using? and how?

Thanks

Syv

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »
I have a "droid" smartphone and I use the native email client via IMAP. All my email is IMAP. It works just fine, pefectly in fact including several overseas destinations and the stop-over points en-route.

The biggest challenge is "finding" your server on the inter-web. A fixed IP address or a DynamicDNS client is a must.

There are a number of third party email client choices but I have not found them to be necessary.

Currently I use an S3 Galaxy but I have tried it on a number of "cheap & nasty" smartphones with good results every time.

I always use my ISP's SMTP server for sending mail with my ISP's credentials. I do not use the Cellphone providers SMTP as I will usually procure a local SIM when overseas (way better rates, esp data) and lanuage can become a barrier to accessing the providers settings !

Everything mmccarn has said above for iphone is equally relevant for (an) droid.

HTH
Peter
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:25:29 PM by p-jones »