Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Looking for asterisk advice on multiple locations

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
    • http://www.charton-mgmt.com
Looking for asterisk advice on multiple locations
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:45 AM »
I'm looking at a way to solve an issue.  I have 3 offices with 2 POTS or PTSN dialtones in each office.  I would like to add VOIP gateway adapters to each office and create a single unified phone system between all 3 offices.  Only one office is open at a time, but would like to have two phones at every office that can access all 6 lines to answer calls or to call out when the current opened office lines are in use.  I've seen asterisk working in a single location, so I thought it might be possible to use in this combined office situation.

I think I would want to have an asterisk SME server in each office so if the internet goes down at one location it would not take the other two locations down.  The other issue would be having a single voice mail box for all incoming calls not answered.  I would want all voice mails to be in one central location if possible for returning calls and be able to get at those voice mails from any phone from any location or through a web browser from any location.

Its a low cost non profit job so I'm trying to do it for very little and donating equipment.  I have alot of experience in using SME as a business server, but have never used it as a telephone server as well.  Any advice or direction is appreciated.  I've done some googling but it seems factory out of the box solutions in the VOIP markets are $7000-10000 range. 

Offline apmuthu

• +0/-0
Re: Looking for asterisk advice on multiple locations
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
One SME in each office or just a SIP/IAX FXO box in each office.

One SME in a data center as the main one with no voip pstn lines but with IAX Trunks to the other three.

The data center SME will have the main mailbox and the IVRs.

Dialout can be on priority thru local lines and then thru the IAX trunk from each office.
All mail boxes are in the data center SME - config becomes easy.

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
    • http://www.charton-mgmt.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
Thank you!  Do you have a recommendation for a SIP/IAX FXO box?

Offline apmuthu

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:48:59 AM »
Your best source for ATAs is probably Voip-Info.org

Cisco/Sipura series, Soundwin, Antek, ATA186/188s, a bevy of China/Taiwan/S.Korea ATAs, WellTech and others may be possible choices.