Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Calendar Server, Shared Calendars

Offline pwarren

• +0/-0
Calendar Server, Shared Calendars
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:43:01 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm interested in finding out what people are using for calendars with SME as the server. Ideally we need something that Outlook and Thunderbird/lightning can read and write to. 

I can't seem to get Kronolith to work with either of them, it works fine within itself, but adding to thunderbird has no effect, Thunderbird doesn't see events, and any events it creates on the calendar dissappear.

With outlook 2007, it complains that the subscription URL for the calendar is not a valid calendar link.

So, has anyone successfully deployed a calendar server on SME Server?

Cheers
--
Paul

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Calendar Server, Shared Calendars
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »
SOGo is the answer.. be aware that a full integration with outlook is available only in SOGo v.2 that is not compatible with SME

HTH

Offline pwarren

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »
Thanks Stefano,

I had looked at Sogo around a year ago, and found that I just couldn't get it to work well enough, it seems that since then, It no longer requires customised plugins for thunderbird and should work fine with just lightning.

I've also tried getting Kronolith going, and it works fine within webmail, but I can't for the life of me get it to run via lightning, or outlook.

Anyway, I'll have another crack at SOGo, and report back!

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
  • A good plumber, noob developer
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
SOGo, eGroupware, or possibly Webcalendar.
I use Webcalendar for my officestaff. It has some good features and very easy to set up. Not sure about all the features you are looking for, but I would say that Webcalendar is the easiest to test. Just copy over files, set up a  database, and use Web Server as authentication, it will use all your SME users and passwords.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC
I Still Don't KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. Please, don't assume I know anything about Linux or Centos, I just know hardware

Offline pwarren

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »
Well, I've had a bit more of a play with SOGo, and it's nearly there. Works perfectly for what I want with just Lightning, and I'll work on getting the SOGo connector plugins going, to enable the config free setup.

I've not got outlook 2007 to work with it yet, but I might have a go at the funambol integration or something similar, and try Outlook 2010 too. But this is a secondary consideration given that Thunderbird does exactly what's needed, with the bonus of having the addressbook working too.

Thanks for the comments.

Offline pwarren

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:52:13 AM »
I've not so far managed to get the sogo-integrator setup working, but for now, that's not so important, as we've got calendars and addressbooks with minimal config needed for both Outlook, with Funambol, and Thunderbird with Lightning and Sogo-connector. Working pretty well!

Next thing to figure out is the 'sieve' functions, so that users can setup their own mail filtering rules (among other things).

It seems from a while ago[1], that SME's IMAP implementation does not support sieve functions, can someone confirm if that's still the case? Or, is there something else I can do to get the filtering support from SOGo?

Cheers
--
Paul

[1] http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=38918.0
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:55:01 AM by pwarren »

Offline powers93

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
I've found a website that details setting up dovecot to use for sieve functions with sogo.

https://wikit.firewall-services.com/doku.php?id=smedev:dovecot

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »
I'm using eGroupware for web-drive, calendars and addressbooks.
It can be synched with Outlook/funambol and Android/synthesis via syncml.
For Linux and Mac stations, groupdav does it (caldav and carddav).
Thunderbird, sogo-connector and lightning do a great job with groupdav.

In the current beta of eGroupware version (1.9), there is also an ActiveSync option.

If I didn't need the "infolog" and "wiki" implemented in eGroupware, my first choice would be SOGo.

I liked ownCloud but although there are many options, the interface is sometimes limited.

It is exciting to see that we have very interesting choices!
Sophie from Montréal