Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME server Manager Error 500 on upgrade

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
  • A good plumber, noob developer
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
SME server Manager Error 500 on upgrade
« on: May 27, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »
I was on SME 8 Beta 7 (SME8B7) and had a full production server, so there were contribs and everything installed. I did the upgrade via the wiki through yum with a "--skip-broken". I had lots of contribs installed, and I am unaware of the warning not o. I have a complete AFFA backup of my SME8B7, so there is really no harm, except the time in reinstalling SME 8 and the contribs.
This is a three part question:
I don't know how to get the logs without the Server-manager. How can I access those files so I can see why the server-manager has an error?
During the install, I had some issues with php-common-5.3, so I did the skip install. Is there a way I can list installed contribs so that I may have a list for my new installation if necessary?
During my AFFA restore, if necessary, it will restore everything in /opt. I have ajaxplorer and sharedfolders installed, should I restore first, or recreate those shares then do the restore? Basically, does AFFA restore the ibays, or do I have to create them for them to successfully display in server-manager? I believe that I have to create them first, if not, I can create directories through terminal ssh, and it will display in server-manager (what happens to the permission for that folder?).

One question per topic, but all these questions are relevant to each other. A yes to one question brings up the next question. So they are all one question collectively.

http://mtrosemedia.tk
this is the location of the server. It seems operational, except for ajaxplorer ( http://mtrosemedia.tk/ajaxplorer )
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC
I Still Don't KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. Please, don't assume I know anything about Linux or Centos, I just know hardware

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
Re: SME server Manager Error 500 on upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
Update:
Code: [Select]
yum remove ajaxplorer
yum clean
yum --enablerepo=fws --enablerepo=rpmforge install smeserver-ajaxplorer
signal-event webapps-update

Now it is working, so the link will not display the error for open-basedir: /tmp
Server-manager is still an issue, but from what I see, everything is completely operational. Even php, even though php-common-5.3 had dependancy resolving issues.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC
I Still Don't KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. Please, don't assume I know anything about Linux or Centos, I just know hardware

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
Next time, stop the update and do not continue using --skip-broken options and the like. This will, as you already noticed, result in more hassle.

In stead you should have analyzed which contribs where installed and see if they had proper releases for SME Server 8 and update them together.

You should try and find out what it is that is preventing server-manager from functioning, but my guess it is either a stale package or a package that has been dragged in as an update from one of the other repositories you used in your later attempt. Clues should be in /var/log/messages around the time the internal server error occurred IIRC.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:14:10 AM »
I assumed all packages that were installed were stable enough for SME 8 because I was in full production with SME 8 Beta 7. The changelog says there are no major changes between beta 7 and final release.

the /var/log/httpd/admin_error_log shows

[Sun May 27 18:59:59 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Can't locate Apache/AuthTkt.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/e-smith/web/common/cgi-bin /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/$
[Sun May 27 18:59:59 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /etc/e-smith/web/common/cgi-bin/login line 28.
[Sun May 27 18:59:59 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers: login

Also,
# yum update --enablerepo=atrpms --enablerepo=dag --enablerepo=epel --enablerepo=fws --enablerepo=fws

Returns the Value
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libcppunit-1.12.so.0 for package: dirac
---> Package cppunit.i386 0:1.12.1-3.el5 set to be updated
---> Package php.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-cli.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: php-common = 5.3.3-1.el5.sme.3 for package: php-process
---> Package php-common.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-devel.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-gd.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-imap.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-ldap.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-mbstring.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-mysql.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-pdo.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
---> Package php-xml.i386 0:5.3.3-1.el5.sme.6 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
dirac-1.0.2-1.el5.rf.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: libcppunit-1.12.so.0 is needed by package dirac-1.0.2-1.el5.rf.i386 (installed)
php-process-5.3.3-1.el5.sme.3.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.3.3-1.el5.sme.3 is needed by package php-process-5.3.3-1.el5.sme.3.i386 (installed)
Error: Missing Dependency: libcppunit-1.12.so.0 is needed by package dirac-1.0.2-1.el5.rf.i386 (installed)
Error: Missing Dependency: php-common = 5.3.3-1.el5.sme.3 is needed by package php-process-5.3.3-1.el5.sme.3.i386 (installed)

Same thing happened during the intial update to SME 8 from Beta 7, that's why I did the --skip-broken because all the dependency issues say (installed).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:25:09 AM by newburns »
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
if you enable all the repos and do an update, you're going to have some big troubles..

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »
I already did. That's how I lost my server-manager

In actuality, I just need to get the server-manager back, so I can do a DAR2 backup. DAR backups can be used during a new installation, and I can use my AFFA backup to populate all the data. This is because AFFA does not restore the ibay configurations, users, passwords, and permissions.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
This is because AFFA does not restore the ibay configurations, users, passwords, and permissions.

this is false..

AFFA does a full backup.. if your AFFA is not working, it means that you have changed something.

you don't need server-manager to do a backup, you can wo0rk from the CLI using db commands

this is my configuration:
backupwk=service
    BackupTime=13:30
    Compression=6
    CompressionProg=gzip
    DaysInSet=1
    FullDay=7
    IncNum=0
    IncOnlyTimeout=no
    Login=myusername
    Password=mypassword
    Program=dar
    SetNum=2
    SetsMax=7
    SmbHost=mybackuphost
    SmbShare=backup
    Timeout=8
    VFSType=cifs
    status=enabled

so, all you need is
config setprop backupwk ....

and then raise
/sbin/e-smith/do_backupwk

and wait..

I suggest you to read carefully what you tell you everytime you do an update using other repos..

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »
My AFFA is standard, and it is backing up everything just fine.
However, I don't see how it can restore my configurations?
It has all the standard directories, but nothing like /etc, /sbin or anything else that would configure my new installation. I would have to first go through and set up all my ibays, users, and contribs, then use AFFA to populate, right? If you are saying otherwise, that means when you create a directory in /home/e-smith/files/ibays/  it shows up in the server-manager as an ibay. That's all that AFFA will do.

Am I correct in my thinking, because I have AFFA backup that's been running for months on standard!
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
reinstall SME, reinstall AFFA, do a full restore from AFFA (read the documentation)

It has all the standard directories, but nothing like /etc, /sbin or anything else that would configure my new installation

I suggest you to read the dev's manual to understand how SME works behind the curtain..

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
newburns

I think I want to hand back my "star" award to you.
What you are saying is WRONG.

EVERY single full restore using whichever supported sme method, should only be done to a clean install of the sme operating system.
That means no ibays, no users, no groups, no data, no contribs installed, just a straight install from the sme CD. If using a contrib to do the restore eg Affa or DAR2 then you will need to install that contrib after doing the CD fresh install of sme OS.
After the restore you then proceed to reinstall contribs. The data & configuration settings for those contribs will already be on the server from the restore.

Apart from the "heavier reading" sme developers documentation, please read this plain english howto to illuminate yourself more fully with sme backup & restore concepts.
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config#Backup_and_Restore_concepts.2C_issues_and_other_information

As Stefano says, Affa will do a full restore of all configuration settings and user data and ibays and groups etc.
It does not restore contribs or system files and folders. Neither does any other supported backup & restore method.

No supported restore process will restore the /etc /sbin and other folders you mentioned. These are installed by the OS and are version specific.

That's why you can install a new version of sme OS eg sme8.0final and restore a sme7.5.1 backup to it (then install compatible contribs, new sme8 versions also if available).

Here is the list of what is included in a backup & a typical restore.
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config#Standard_backup_.26_restore_inclusions

I don't see how Affa can restore my configurations?

Please read the Affa wiki for instructions re how to restore.
http://wiki.contribs.org/Affa#Restore

Affa will create the ibays and add the data at the same time. It uses hard links so behaves quite differently to other backup & restore methods, but they also achieve a similar end result.
Affa follows the same structure for backup & restore as do other supported backup/restore methods.

For the record the only supported backup that backs up all folders files and file systems on a sme server is tape, ie everything including system files & contribs is included in the backup.
A restore from tape still only restores the standard folders as per above wiki article, as that is the sme standard way. You would still install a clean sme OS before doing a tape restore, and you would then install contribs.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
Thanks. I see ::
affa --create-backup-file JOB [ARCHIVE] [--outfile=FILE]
Creates a gzipped tar archive FILE from the ARCHIVE of job JOB. During creation the MD5 checksum is calculated against which the written tar is checked. The default ARCHIVE is scheduled.0 and default the FILE is ./smeserver.tgz. The checksum is written to FILE.md5sum.
A smeserver.tgz file stored on an USB disk can be used for restore during a SME Server fresh install.
So when I do this, then I won't have to do anything else except for installing all my contribs, BUT
Two questions.
If I do this first and it restores all data, I have to install contribs that may overwrite some information from restore?
How can I do this for 800gb worth of information? There is no way to do it over the network is there? I understand that it has to be USB or CD. Furthermore, the restore from workstation is an option after SME has been installed. I would have to restore during the clean installation so all my users and configurations are transferred
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
you can restore "manually" from a smeserver.tgz archive.. search the wiki..

if you don't have an usb disk to manage such a file, mount the remote share where the archive resides..

I'm quite sure you'll find all the info in the wiki and here, in the forums

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
However, you said that the AFFA restore does the same as the smeserver.tgz restore?
It is much less hassle to do the AFFA restore.
I ask because I know you use AFFA a lot, and I would rather use that as long as I can get my configuration back.

This is because AFFA does not restore the ibay configurations, users, passwords, and permissions.

this is false..

AFFA does a full backup.. if your AFFA is not working

It's nothing to reinstall all the contribs. It's tough to set up all the permissions and ibays I had before though.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
newburns

If I do this first and it restores all data, I have to install contribs that may overwrite some information from restore?

Correctly written contribs should find existing data.

How can I do this for 800gb worth of information? There is no way to do it over the network is there?

Why not ? It will take longer of course. I know 400Gb takes many many many hours.

I understand that it has to be USB or CD. Furthermore, the restore from workstation is an option after SME has been installed. I would have to restore during the clean installation so all my users and configurations are transferred

Users are recreated by the restore, so do not add them manually first. Are you reading what has already been posted ?
ONLY RESTORE TO A CLEAN INSTALL OF SME OS !

Here is another option
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config#Command_line_manual_Restore_from_USB_drive_or_memory_stick

Another option is to restore from disk, you remove a disk from one server and attach it to your new server and do the restore directly from that, no need to even do a backup first, see
http://wiki.contribs.org/UpgradeDisk
Remember there are critically important pre backup steps you must do prior to shutting down the first server and removing the drive. Read the instructions carefully. It should work for sme8 although I have not tested it.

You have the once only choice to restore from USB at the end of the OS install process.
Otherwise you restore using server manager panel or an installed contrib.

If you miss this once off opportunity to restore from USB, you can reset the parameter to get the option again on next boot, see
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config#Restore_on_initial_reboot_after_fresh_OS_install_-_How_to_Reset_option

-1 star again to you.

You really really need to read all the available documentation.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
How many stars do I have?
Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.  8)

I seen the option for mounting a disk, but I don't have that option because my installation is going onto the same disk.
I understand the dev manual says how users are created, that is why I didn't believe AFFA would properly create users. I thought AFFA just ported information to a new setup. But that is wrong. AFFA does create the proper configurations when doing a restore (according to Stephano)
AFFA does the same as the restore option when initial installation is being done.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC