Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Geoip nominated countries causing problem [solved]

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
Geoip nominated countries causing problem [solved]
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
Posting off-line conversation for everyone's benefit.

This post has been deleted, as requested.
The original author is welcome to post a summary of his finding, consisting of his own thoughts as opposed to quoting anonymous off-line exchanges.  In doing that, particular care should be taken not to engage in comments likely to be interpreted as difamatory.
Thank you for your understanding.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:42:49 AM by chris burnat »

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
Re: Geoip nominated countries causing problem [solved]
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
What's the point of having open source software if the conversations concerning the software aren't open? I'm not a personalized tech support for their particular issues. Why should they receive the benefit of a correct answer and everyone else be left in the dark?

They had an issue and I responded privately and posted it publicly so everyone can see.

More over there was nothing in the post that was difamatory [sic]. At the very least, you could have clarified any ambiguity rather than deleting the post which makes it look like you have something to hide.

We are not going to get very far if every time someone has an issue we hide it in a corner.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
kruhm

They had an issue and I responded privately and posted it publicly so everyone can see.
More over there was nothing in the post that was difamatory [sic].

I for one would like to be able to read what you originally said.
I only have some recollection of your post, so please restate your issue.
Be careful not to make unsupported claims about the service level of MaxMind, your previous comment has obviously been considered inappropriate or possibly defamatory.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
I for one would like to be able to read what you originally said.

So would I. In summary...

I was helping someone. They said the contrib wasn't working correctly.

I looked at their logs that they gave and determined it wasn't working because the IP address wasn't found in the db.

Then I said that in my findings the geolite db isn't as accurate as it used to be. This isn't defamatory as it's my own experience. And it isn't defamatory if it's true. And it isn't defamatory if others are discovering the same.

In any event, this is simple censorship. How would you like it if I deleted your posts because I didn't like them rather than asking for evidence or explanation?

Offline chris burnat

• +2/-0
    • http://www.burnat.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:11 AM »
In any event, this is simple censorship. How would you like it if I deleted your posts because I didn't like them rather than asking for evidence or explanation?

I have to disagree, it is not censorship, it is in the worse case erring on the side of caution.  Please consider:
a) The original post was the subject of a formal report by a member, the reporter asking for deletion on the ground that some of the content published was provided to the author "specifically offline" - meaning private I assume.

b) In the conclusive remarks of the deleted post, it was stated that "Recently, it seems that "identity xyz" is deteriorating the quality of their "product xyz" to force freemium users to a paying product. 

I have the dubious privilege of moderating these Forums, and I try to do this impartially.  In this instance, I had to consider issues associated with potential breach of confidentiality and potential defamation. Two of us checked the potential defamation aspect, we could not find evidence of the claim made in the contentious post.  Not having the benefit of legal advice, and mindful of the need to act with some haste to avoid possible litigations, I decided to remove the post, inviting the author to restate his/her finding taking appropriate steps to avoid contentious issues.

I you are unhappy about this action, please lodge a complaint with contribs.
I have copy of the original post.

- chris
If it does not work out of the box, please fill in a Bug Report @ Bugzilla (http://bugs.contribs.org)  - check: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help .  Thanks.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »
Thanks for your continued support. Really appreciate all that you do.