Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Disable DHCP through SSH (remotely)

Offline pepe

• +0/-0
Disable DHCP through SSH (remotely)
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
Hello,
I'm new to SME
I have a dhcp server enabled, I have only remote access, i need to disable dhcp and static ip's configure. Can anyone tell me what is the procedure?
I searched the forum without result. Thank
----
Hola,
soy novato en SME.
 tengo un servidor con dhcp activado, solamente tengo acceso remoto,  necesito desactivar el dhcp y configurarlo para ip´s estaticas. Puede alguien indicarme cual es el procedimiento?
He buscado en el forum sin resultado

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: Disable DHCP through SSH (remotely)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
Hi

I'm assuming you're looking for a way to stop DHCP on SME server. This way SME will not delivery IP addresses anymore.

Please start verifing the status and config of your dhcpd using:
Code: [Select]
config show dhcpd status

note the status as enabled!
I'd take note (copy and save to a loca computer, please do not print... be green) of this output.
So, proceed disabling DHCP service on server:
Code: [Select]
config setprop dhcpd status disabled
service dhcpd stop

I'm just not sure what you means by "and static ip's configure", please elaborate.

Jáder

Offline pepe

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.
I mean I want to use static ips. I just want to disable the dhcp but not change the range of ip's.

---
Gracias por la rapida respuesta.
me refiero a que quiero hacer uso de ips estaticas. Simplemente quiero deshabilitar el dhcp pero no cambiar el rango de ip´s.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.
I mean I want to use static ips. I just want to disable the dhcp but not change the range of ip's.

then follow Jader's advice

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to SME
I have a dhcp server enabled, I have only remote access, i need to disable dhcp and static ip's configure. Can anyone tell
What is your goal? Perhaps you can tell us why you need DHCP disabled?

Most off the times we can come up with a good solution without having to disable functionality.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
pepe

In the server manager Hostnames and Addresses panel, add the mac address of each PC's NIC and the IP you want to allocate to that PC.
Leave DHCP enabled on the server, and DHCP will force the handing out of the allocated IP to the corresponding mac/NIC.
This is so easy to do in sme server as there is no need to manually go around to each PC and configure them for a fixed IP, although you will need to determine each PC's mac address, say by using the command ipconfig from a DOS/command window.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline maaraujo

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
Pepe,

If you need advice in Spanish, please open a new thread in Español forum, I can help you.

Regards,

Mike

Offline pepe

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:50:10 AM »
Thank you all,.
I disabled the dhcp with indications of Jader.

In response to Cactus:
at the request of the telecommunications operator (VoIP virtual PBX + cisco router) need to configure a DHCP server on the router for IP phones. As I have a DHCP server for PCS can not be two DHCP in the range of the same network.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
at the request of the telecommunications operator (VoIP virtual PBX + cisco router) need to configure a DHCP server on the router for IP phones. As I have a DHCP server for PCS can not be two DHCP in the range of the same network.
I doubt you want your IP telephones to be in the same network as your workstations. That way it will be harder to control the bandwidth. I think the better solution would be to separate your networks for VOIP and PCs. Since you are using a cisco router you should be able to create VLANs and put your VOIP systems in one VLAN and your PCs in another. Then you should be able to have two DHCP servers, one in each VLANa nd configure QoS for the VoIP lan to be above the PC lan.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
a more "SME Standard" solution would be to login via SSH as "admin" then "Configure This Server" to turn off DHCP.