Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

error email every 5 minutes.

Offline groutley

• +0/-0
    • http://www.routley.homeip.net
Re: error email every 5 minutes.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
I'll put a note in the roadmap to put a switch into Globals to turn it off/on.  It may be a release or two before it gets in. 

I just upgraded to 3.1.1--22  and had this problem start up again.   
 I looked in Globals for a switch but can't spot one for this..  did it ever make it as an option ?

So I've commented out the line 2 in /etc/cron.d/sark to stop the flooding of emails again.

Glen

Offline apmuthu

• +0/-0
Re: error email every 5 minutes.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
Where is the sarktool ?

Line 2 of /etc/cron.d/sark calls /opt/sark/scripts/perlarp.pl every 5 minutes.
/opt/sark/scripts/perlarp.pl calls nmap binary which is not there in the default SME8 install.

Hence the following should settle matters:
Code: [Select]
yum install nmap
This will install nmap v2:4.11-2 as on date.

The following nmap rpms are installed when installing from the SME 8 SAIL ISOs (v3.1.1-22 and v4.0.0-15):
Code: [Select]
nmap-4.11-1.1.i386.rpm
nmap-5.51.6-1.el5.rfx.i386.rpm

Note: Currently the second line in the /etc/cron.d/sark file executing the script perlarp.pl is commented out as it works only when both nmap is installed and the LAN is on eth0. This issue is being investigated by the SARK devs. However, individual installs of SME8 where the LAN is on eth0 can remove the comment enabling it's use.

Purpose: Do not force eth0 as LAN because there is no guarantee that it won't be disruptive to other code. Nmap runs to find orphan IPs (IP phones) on the sub-net that aren't known to SAIL.  It isn't crucial to normal operations.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:16:06 AM by apmuthu »