Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Noob to SME- Superuser mapping question.

Offline Joe Gerardi

• +0/-0
Noob to SME- Superuser mapping question.
« on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »
Hi. Just found this distro yesterday on distrowatch.com, and so far, I'm quite impressed! I've recently gotten a server for home and was evaluating RHEL, SLES, CentOS Xandros Server, and Ubuntu Server Before SME came along.

I'm new to Linux but not networks. I've been a CNE since 1992 (when it actually *meant* something) and have a Sun Ultra 10 Creator and SGI Octane at home along with my PC. I work for the State of Georgia as a Regional Coordinator for IT, running my share of 1400 Netware servers.

Here's my question: is there some way to create a user that would have full browsing rights from the root on down the entire directory structure, and that could be viewed from a Windows PC? I would like to be able to map a drive that shows the entire server, instead of just getting the user directories. In other words: my server is named gerardi-server, and when I open that Drive in Windows I would see:

gerardi-server\

and could then drill down to whatever directory I choose. I like this method for administration purposes.

Again, I'm not real Linux savvy yet, so I would appreciate fairly detailed instructions.

Thanks,

..Joe

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Noob to SME- Superuser mapping question.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »
Joe Gerardi

The method outlined in this Howto could be modified to suit
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/contribs/rmitchell/smeserver/howto/User%20Home%20directories%20access%20by%20Administrator%20HOWTO%20for%20sme%20server.htm

You will need to change the path to say
path = /

You may have permission issues later if you write to any files.

You may be much better off just using Putty to establish a ssh connection to the server from your Windows workstation, and then open midnight commander (type mc at the prompt after logging in as root) which provides you a nice 2 panel file/directory browser/utilities tool.

You can also configure sudoer users who have access to all parts of the server, and they log in using Putty.
See dungog.net for info about the remoteuseraccess contrib
To install do
yum --enablerepo=smecontribs install smeserver-remoteuseraccess

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:14:46 AM by RayMitchell »

Offline thomasch

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:54 AM »
Joe,

To share entire SME linux root directory to samba share is possible.

WARNING!!!! This will compromise your server security
One wrong R/W will render your SME server unusable

Code: [Select]
mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/smb.conf
pico /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/smb.conf/91systemroot

paste lines below
don't forget to change admin user = supervisor to your username

[systemroot]
comment = root directory

path = /
read only = no
writable = yes
printable = no
inherit permissions = yes
create mode = 0660
admin users = supervisor

CTRL-X  :: Y :: [enter]

then

expand-template /etc/samba/smb.conf
service smb restart

Offline Joe Gerardi

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
Thank you for the answers...

I am well aware of what one wrong move can do to a server. I deal with people doing that every day, much to my frustration. My favorite was the lady who decided that the server was too loud, and not knowing what it was, just turned it off, shutting down a 40-user site. ;D

At the same time, I figure the best way for me to learn the server inside and out is to tool around inside it and break it several times, learning along the way. That's how I learned DOS and Novell back in 1986, and it's still the best way to learn, IMHO.

Appreciate the replies.

..Joe

Offline JoshuaR

• +0/-0
    • Tech-Eze
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:28:07 AM »
I'm not 100% sure why you want to create a user with those privileges, but if you just want to view/access/modify  the directories and structure on your server, you might try http://winscp.net/

I've used it, and it works quite well--letting you browse your server in a hierarchical structure, and also provides SSH capabilities if you want it...what you can edit is only limited by the credentials you log as. Give it a go. :smile:
Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon, and wise too late...

Offline Joe Gerardi

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:16:45 AM »
I'm not 100% sure why you want to create a user with those privileges, but if you just want to view/access/modify  the directories and structure on your server, you might try http://winscp.net/

That's brilliant, and just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

As to why, because it's been my experience that the admin needs complete and total access to a server. I don't know Linux, so this is the best way to learn it- in a server that is up and running. That way I can see what does what.

Additionally, I can only go by what I know. In Netware, there is always a superuser that can change anything anywhere. I've been running Netware servers for over 20 years, so I'm attempting to make it look like what I know- less chance of screwing something up that way.

Thanks again.

..Joe

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:22:54 AM »
Joe Gerardi

If you like the idea of winscp, perhaps you skipped over and missed my earlier post re Putty & mc & sudoer's. Other than server manager, Putty is the tool of choice for most remote administration of the server.

You may be much better off just using Putty to establish a ssh connection to the server from your Windows workstation, and then open midnight commander (type mc at the prompt after logging in as root) which provides you a nice 2 panel file/directory browser/utilities tool.

You can also configure sudoer users who have access to all parts of the server, and they log in using Putty.
See dungog.net for info about the remoteuseraccess contrib
To install do
yum --enablerepo=smecontribs install smeserver-remoteuseraccess

Offline Joe Gerardi

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:47:14 AM »
I didn't miss it, I just didn't know what Putty is. I do now- it's running right next to this window.

Forgive me if I take the easy way out at the beginning. I'm severely behind the learning curve for Linux, and I want to make the ground up quickly. Windows-oriented screens are the easiest way to do that at the beginning, delving deeper when there's a base knowledge.

..Joe

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:40:06 AM »
or make a symlink from root to inside your home dir, then you can browse with your file manager

when permissions get in the way you can swap to another tool, and be more cautious

Offline JoshuaR

• +0/-0
    • Tech-Eze
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 08:49:43 AM »
I just didn't know what Putty is.
Putty basically tunnels a secure connection to your server so that it's like you were sitting in front of the machine looking at the command line...  I hope I don't get shot down for this, but I'd say it's the linux equal to RDP in windows. :D
Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon, and wise too late...