Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Backing up server

Offline cousin-it

• +0/-0
Backing up server
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »
 :-( :-( I have been trying to do a scheduled backup on my server for months and I can't get it to work. I always get the error message: "Backup terminated: pre-backup failed - status: 256". I have followed every 'howto' on how to set this up with no luck. I have tried using an internal IDE tape backup drive. Currently I have an external USB drive connected. I really need to get this working. I have about 5G worth of data that I can't loose. I have been extremely lucky so far. I am running (just upgraded to) SME 7.3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Confucius

• +0/-0
Re: Backing up server
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »
RAID would be a nice option to prevent data-loss (excluded are disasters that would be able to destroy the whole building ofcourse) in the 1st place.

2nd you can try this : http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/contribs/dmay/smeserver/7.x/testing/smeserver-rsync/

It's still not considered a 100% solution (hence the directory name 'test') but I think Darrel would love to get feedback about the experience.

Good luck

Harro

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:27:48 AM »
I always get the error message: "Backup terminated: pre-backup failed - status: 256".

The event pre-backup fails. Search /var/log/messages starting from line "Processing event: pre-backup" for the action script that causes the error.