Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

File permission and owner whitin files ibay changes

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
    • http://www.far-galaxy.de
« on: August 07, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »
Every time someone accesses data on a specific file ibay directories over windows client and changes some things within a certain file, the permission or the owner changes from root:share to the user which changed something. Which leaves other users unable to open the file again or change anything there. Is there some way to force a specific user or group in this case root:share for every file change in this ibay? I've set this ibay to group everyone and read, write for group. As far as I know there is no specific option to give every user permission to read and write so there must be some way to force the correct group permission to stay and be written while creating a new file object.
I'm using my SME 7.2 System as a Windows Domain Controller.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: File permission and owner whitin files ibay changes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »
crusader

the permission or the owner changes from root:share to the user which changed something.
I've set this ibay to group everyone and read, write for group.

Add your Users to the Group that owns the ibay.

ownership of
root:shared
is wrong, it should be
user:group
or
user:shared

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
crusader

[Add your Users to the Group that owns the ibay.

ownership of
root:shared
is wrong, it should be
user:group
or
user:shared

The users are all already in group shared, and the ibay itself comes with the root:shared configuration if this is wrong why is it configured automatically by the server-manager?

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:52:09 PM »
crusader

the ibay itself comes with the root:shared configuration

You said in your first post that the file gets changed and has root:shared permissions, are you referring to the ibay or to the file in the ibay ?

My ibays names have root:root ownership
the /files and /html folders have root:groupname ownership
the files in the /files and /html folders have user:groupname ownership

If your files have root:something ownership then you have probably (incorrectly) copied those files onto your server when logged in as root, and therefore given them root user ownership.
All files should usually have user:group ownership, so that the user who created them can access them and the users who are members of the group can access them in the ibays they are allowed to access.

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
Ok, let's try again, I hope I can explain it more clearly to you this time:

I have created an ibay which permission is:

bayname: <bayname>
description: <description>
group: everyone
user access via file shareing or ftp: write group, Read everyone (tried write group, read group too)
public access via web or anonymous ftp: no
dynamic content enable: no

my ibay has following permissions and ownerships on shell level:
ibay itself: root:root, permission 755
cgi-bin, files, html: root:shared, permission drwxrwsr-x
within the files folder: root:shared, permission 770

every time someone changes a file within this ibay, for example over samba connection (windows network file level), it changes the owner to <username>:<usernamegroup>

I've even tried now to add the users to the shared group within the /etc/group file but no change at all

How can I solve this problem.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 06:52:06 PM »
crusader

I set up an ibay exactly as you describe and when I copy files from my workstation to the mapped ibay /files folder they are given ownership/permissions of
user:shared 764

Try this to reset all defaults (assuming you have not added  any custom templates to tweak ibay settings)
signal-event post-upgrade
reboot

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:17:37 PM »
This didn't changed anything.
I have the same problem as before. I the shared group a real group? In my /etc/groups shard has no member.
There has to be some way I can solve this problem. I don't think I'm the only one haveing this issue. In window this is a standard procedure, and I thought sme does try to implement most of the funktion a standard domain controller provides.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:06:51 AM »
crusader

First of all the behaviour you are seeing is not generally correct, I have demonstrated that to you by creating the same scenario you quoted and my files are given ownership of user:shared, rather than user:group

every time someone changes a file within this ibay, for example over samba connection (windows network file level), it changes the owner to <username>:<usernamegroup>

What is usernamegroup ???
The only possibilities (in this  scenario) are shared or group (the name of a valid group that owns the ibay).

The users are all already in group shared

Earlier you said this. How do you know that, what shared group are you referring to, did you somehow forcibly create a shared group ?
There should be no group called shared in the Groups panel of server manager as it is a reserved system account.

Is the shared group a real group? In my /etc/groups shard has no member.

shared is a special system group that all users are automatically members of and you should not be modifying it at all.

It should be in /etc/group
and in /home/e-smith/db/accounts

Type these at the command prompt and tell us what the output is

grep shared /etc/group

db accounts show shared

Are you having this problem with only one particular ibay, if so what is the real name of the ibay, what is the group owner real name, and what is the read/write settings. ?

Please tell us (honestly) what changes you have made to this server.
Have you edited config files directly, if so what did you do ?

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
grep shared /etc/group
shared:x:500:www, admin, public, backup.admin, phprojekt, htunc, gblaha, ehallermayer, jschiefer, mcengiz, mnishida, tobermaier, skavuncu, fcloos, wmaier, cwolf, nthanner, mpangaro, personal, info, ja, it, tr, de, en, cobrasoft, compshare, cts, datenbanken, information, japan, kunden, lieferanten, organisation, produkte, share, software, turkey, vertrieb, vorstandcomp, bewerber, dev-projekt

db accounts show shared
shared=system
    Visible=internal

No this problem does not concern only one user, it's definitly a problem of all users which I had in the old sme contribsserver version before.

Real name of the ibay's concerned are:
cobrasoft
datenbanken
kunden
vertrieb

group owners name? I don't know as far as I know the group owner is the same as the groups name, but I may be wrong. It is all standard sme setting as generated while creating groups and ibays

I definitly did not make any changes in the servers config or template files. It's all as it was after installing.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:12:33 PM »
crusader

Those settings look OK.

it's definitly a problem of all users which I had in the old sme contribsserver version before. It's all as it was after installing.

What is the history of this server ?
Is it a fresh install of sme7.0 or 7.1 or 7.2 ?
Was it upgraded from sme6.x ?

Did you do a backup & restore from an earlier version or did you dod  fresh install & manually enter all users and settings etc ?

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
I have tried your exact scenario on 7.2 and this is what my server does:

Save file from Paul's desktop to ibay:
paul/shared
Edit file from Steven's desktop and save:
steven/shared

What kind of files are you having problems with, MS Office documents by any chance?
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »
MS Office dokuments and Cobrasoft database files. For some reasons the database files like System.ldb or Benutzer.db changes permission and owner to <username>:<username> when the user is changeing some data within the crm tool like adding some new contact data.

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
crusader

Those settings look OK.

What is the history of this server ?
Is it a fresh install of sme7.0 or 7.1 or 7.2 ?
Was it upgraded from sme6.x ?

Did you do a backup & restore from an earlier version or did you dod  fresh install & manually enter all users and settings etc ?

I newly installed the 7.2 system. Created every ibay and user again, after that I copied with scp command the files from the old server and changed the owner to root:shared like the file they were in there before.

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 11:52:42 PM »
Quote from: "crusader"
MS Office dokuments and Cobrasoft database files. For some reasons the database files like System.ldb or Benutzer.db changes permission and owner to <username>:<username> when the user is changeing some data within the crm tool like adding some new contact data.
Office documents :-(

Do you have oplocks enabled or disabled?

Show output of:

config show smb
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline crusader

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:24 AM »
oplocks are enabled