Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Problems saving a xls file

CLUT

« on: July 09, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Hello,

I work 1 year with SME servers, our mail-server is a sme server and also all the servers on our nephews establishments.

Now we have a problem with one (SME server 7.1.3) with workstations Windows XP Pro S2 and Office Small Business Edition 2003. While saving a excell file he can not save the file.

I search the forum and the first wat i think was that it was a problem with oplocks.

So i try something else before turn oplocks off, and the following is my conclusion. The problem occurs only in a map name with the "[" and the "]" character. But it is not illegal to use this characters?

There are many many folders with these characters so i wanna know if someone else had the same problem.

And maybe someone had a solution for this problem?

So i hope you can read my englisch a little bit, and thank you for help

Christian

Offline dmajwool

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:16:14 PM »
Using my copy of excel97, if I try to save a file with the "[" character in the filename, Excel gives me a dialog saying that the characters < > ? [ ] : and * are prohibited in Excel file names.

I can, however, create a folder in the ibay with the name [].

So it seems that the problem may lie with Excel's handling of the special character, and not SME.

HTH

David.

CLUT

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »
Quote from: "dmajwool"
Using my copy of excel97, if I try to save a file with the "[" character in the filename, Excel gives me a dialog saying that the characters < > ? [ ] : and * are prohibited in Excel file names.

I can, however, create a folder in the ibay with the name [].

So it seems that the problem may lie with Excel's handling of the special character, and not SME.

HTH

David.

Yep that's true, and the strains thing is that we use very long the names how they are. So for a couple of years we use the map names wit "["and "]" in it. And when you try to make a folder in windows he also sai the the characters < > ? [ ] : and * are not allowed without the "[" and the "]" character so in windows you can use these characters, and when we try to save something in excel he said that the filename may not use the characters < > ? [ ] : and * and the filename is not the foldername...

David which version of SME-server do you have?

Offline dmajwool

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »
I am using the same SME version as you, 7.1.3

CLUT

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
Are there other user with another version of sme-server? Maybe they can test of this problems also occured by other versions of sme-server. Beceause we did not have this problem before by using other sme servers.

Thank you for help!