Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Peachtree Acc. 2007 Multi-User Installation on SME [How-to]

Offline ronaldson40

• +0/-0
I have bought Peachtree Complete accounting 2007 Multi-user.
Can anyone give the steps that I should do to install it on the SME.
I am using SME 7.1.3.

This is presently the user configuration on my SME machine.

Domain Admins : Officeadmin
Domain Users :
Officeuser1
Officeuser2
Officeuser3

What I have understood from the previous threads on Peachtree is that..
I need to make a ibay with both the Domain Admins and Domain Users having admin rights to. Map this drive say Z: drive on each computer and start install and during install point to Z: drive as the data file path.

Can someone help me....

Regards
Ronaldson

Offline ronaldson40

• +0/-0
Re: Peachtree Installation
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »
[UPDATE]
Success!
I have installed Peachtree Multi-user 2007 on the network.

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 11:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "ronaldson40"
[UPDATE]
Success!
I have installed Peachtree Multi-user 2007 on the network.

Well thats just fantastic!!!

Do you mind sharing exactly what you did to get this working, there have been a number of topics on Peachtree (various versions) without any resolution.
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline ronaldson40

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »
Peachtree, I think as of 2006, requires something called Pervasive Database Engine to run on a machine which will host the data files of peachtree. Unfortunately the Pervasive Database Engine
is supported currently only by Windows platforms and that too I think Windows 2000 onwards.

So I had no other option but to opt for a Windows XP Professional machine which would act as my Peachtree Server(A)

Now I already have a MS domain (MSHUB) hosted under SME server which the Windows Clients connect to.

Suppose B,C,D are the Windows XP clients working under the MS Domain.
When I bought the software, I had chalked out two techniques of installing Peachtree Multi-User. However I went for Technique 2 as my SME server has enough RAM (2GB) and a substantial HDD space (500GB). Anyways I will list both the techniques

Technique 1:

This method involves dedicating one of your XP workstations as the Peachtree Server(A).(This machine have
good-enough RAM and a considerable HDD space as it would be hosting your Peachtree Data)

Step 1: Log into (A) as the Domain Admin. In my case MSHUB\admin

Step 2: Install the server components of Peachtree on (A).Let us assume, you install it to (C:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree)
   Both your Program Files path and DataPath should be this if you have doubts.
   If you do it correctly, Within the Peachtree folder (C:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree\), you should see a (Company) folder
Step 3: Create a user say (peachtree) on SME server, set a password and give Domain Admin permissions to this user account.
   Now go to the Peachtree folder on (A) i.e C:\Program Files\Sage Software\

Step 4: Right-Click (Peachtree) folder, and click on sharing and Security.
   Under the sharing tab,click on share this folder.Give any name,say (Peachtree).
   For the permissions part. remove all users presently listed having access to the share.
   Now add this user i.e in our case MSHUB\peachtree and give Full Control.
   Go to the security tab now, and do the same as in the case of permissions for sharing.

step 5: Edit your netlogon.bat. Add an entry like this

Code: [Select]
net use P: \\A\Peachtree {the password you set for peachtree user} /user:MSHUB\peachtree /persistent:no

step 6: Log off all your clients, say B,C,D.

Step 7 : Log in back into your clients. If you now go to my computer you will find a network share called P: which is the
    data location of the Peachtree server (A)

Step 8 : On each of the clients, B,C,D log in as MSHUB\admin and install Peachtree Accounting.
    During installation on each client machine using the following settings:

Code: [Select]
Program Path : C:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree
Data Path : P:\Company\

Complete Install and restart your client machines.

Step 9 : To test if the install was successful, log into any one of your client machine, with any credentials, it doesn't have
    to be the MSHUB\admin, any Domain User will also do. Click on the Peachtree Accounting icon. If everything went off well
   you should be seeing the peachtree start-up screen. If you want to test more, you could simultaneously launch Peachtree
   on all clients to check if you have problems with oplocks. I didnt have any problems.
[/b]

Voila, you have now peachtree running on your network.

Now Technique2, I really prefer since I dont require an extra machine to act as the Peachtree Server. I can use the SME server
as the Peachtree server itself. However you should have a good server configuration for this. I am basically using VMWARE server
to virtually run Windows XP Professional on the SME server.

Technique 2:

Step 1: Using the Contrib Wiki to install VMWARE SERVER and VMWARE Management Console.
   http://wiki.contribs.org/Vmware

Step 2: Download the VMware Server console onto any any windows/linux machine and install it.
Step 3: Log into the VMWARE server using your SME server netbios name, USerID: admin and PAssword: Your SME admin password
Step 4: Install Windows XP professional on to your VMWare server, use bridged network mode, so that you can assign an ip address
   to Windows XP Professional.
Step 5: Within your virtual WinXP Prof, join the MS Domain. This virtual XP will be your Peachtree server (A)
Step 6: Follow steps 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 of Technique 1.

You should have Peachtree running now....

Good luck....

Regards
Ronaldson

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:04:54 AM »
Hmmm.  I am no expert on QB, but I'm fairly sure that Quickbooks does not use Pervasive database technology.

Though I'm no fan of Pervasive databases, if Intuit did use PSQL, it would probably be a step up.  PSQL _is_ available in a Linux server version.  I have used it in the past on other projects.

I recently read where you can now run Quickbooks Enterprise edition database servers on Linux...but I have not tried it yet.  Most of my customers don't use Enterprise versions.  

http://http-download.intuit.com/http.intuit/CMO/qbes/resources/pdfs/LinuxInstallGuide.pdf

I have come to the conclusion that 'friends don't let friends use Quickbooks!'.  Unfortunately, I feel the same way about Peachtree...

I'd really like to be able to recommend a good Linux server-based (SME 7) accounting software to my SMB clients.  Has anyone had any good experiences switching SMB's off of Quickbooks?

G

Offline mdo

• +0/-0
QuickBooks (database) installation
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:08:38 AM »
I'm fairly sure that Quickbooks does not use Pervasive database technology.

Correct, apart from the very recent announcement for its Enterprise version to be able to run on a Linux based database engine, there is no other database support in QB (yet). The non-enterprise QB versions are all file based and are running fine on SME7's Samba version (at least for us).

Qb have just announced (here in NZ) that their next version WILL have a database but we expect that this is all "Windows talk" only.

Because we find QB as an accounting package for SMEs very good and do NOT know of a serious alternative for that market (in NZ), we plan to run the QB database on a Windows (XP) machine under VMware on SME - just as it is described her for Peachtree.
Michael

Offline ronaldson40

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
Are both Quickbooks and Peachtree the same when it comes to accounting, or is Quickbooks better... because at my place, quickbooks is slightly more expensive than Peachtree...

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 09:59:27 AM »
mdo

Would be very interested in how you get on with this.  I am expecting to have to do same with Sage in the not to distant future. All these packages seem to want to go with SQLExpress as the db engine. I also have another application using MSDE and .NET I would like to try and get onto an SME Server, with VMWare if necessary.

Would also be interested in which howto you used to get VMWare running on SME.

Several years ago I got the Pervasive Linux Engine (PSQL) running well on SME V6 with Pastel accounting. Was a bit fiddly but it did survive SME updates. I got the info from the Pervasive website and "adapted" it to SME.

Cheers
Peter  (AKL)

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 02:34:34 AM »
Hi all,

If anyone is interested in running VMware Server on SME 7, I have a howto on my web site.

http://www.sonoracomm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=116

I like VMware and I use it frequently.  I even use it for band-aids like those discussed above...if I have to.

However, as an IT professional, these band-aids don't appeal to me greatly.  They simply cannot offer the performance, scalability, reliability or (most importantly) long-term supportability that a better-designed solution would offer...something with a real multi-user, Linux-native database at its core (MySQL, PostgreSQL or even Pervasive PSQL).

I wish I had a great plan to offer my customers.  Though I've taken a couple of accounting classes, I'm not really qualified to recommend accounting software to anyone.  I wish I had the advice of someone more qualified...

Two packages that interest me (as an IT guy):

http://www.sql-ledger.org/
and
http://www.appgen.com/aptus/my_books_professional.htm

MyBooks Pro will even import Quickbooks data from pre-2006 versions of Quickbooks.

If anybody has any experience with either of these, I'd appreciate their comments.

Thanks,

G