Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPPoA

Peter

PPPoA
« on: February 06, 2003, 08:42:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have a client who has a adsl connection with ECN Internet in Australia.My

problem is that I can't get a connection to the isp with a Esmith 5.5.It seems to be

that I need a PPPoA client instead of a PPPoE client that is standard in 5.5.

Any help would be great.

TIA

Jon Blakely

Re: PPPoA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 11:47:35 AM »
Peter,

Using a PPPoA connection on SME is not a problem.

Configure DSL modem/router with isp account username and password.

Configure SME:

Server and Gateway - Dedicated

External Interface Configuration - Use static IP (even if have dynamic IP)

Select Static IP address - This IP will be in the same subnet as the external          ethernet interface on the DSL router
e.g  router external interface 192.168.1.1
       SME external interface  192.168.1.2

Gateway IP address - This is the external ethernet IP of the DSL router.

This should get you up and running.

Jon

Peter

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 01:49:34 AM »
Thanks Jon will give it a try

Jon Roberts

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 01:54:35 AM »
I'm having similar difficulties.  I use a Netgear DG814 ADSL Router / Modem which was fine in my little network (192.168.0.x).  I added the e-smith server, originally server only, 1 nic, still fine.  Then I tried to set it up as the gateway, using 2 nics.  That's when my troubles began ..

My ISP is Eclipse in the UK and my router has been allocated a public IP address.  The router supports PPPoA & I changed my internal network to 10.0.0.x and the External SME server IP to 192.168.0.2, leaving the ADSL router as 192.168.0.1. (Due to unrelated problems in changing the IP address in the router).

No luck & I've tried all combination of config settings.  Should the Gateway IP address be my external IP address or the 192.168.0.1.  I've tried both, but any suggestions as to where I should be double checking would be appreciated.

Brian Read

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 10:18:21 AM »
The gateway address for the PC's on the network should be your SMEserver internal NIX Ip address,

The gateway IP for the SME Server should be the ADSL router.

Have you tested the ADSL line independantly?  Can you browse the router from a Pc using 192.168.0.1

Try plugging the router into a PC dircectly (you'll probably need a cross over cable), and see if that works.

Cheers

Brian

Jon Roberts

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 01:47:49 PM »
Brain,

Thanks for the tip, but that's what I had tried.  All is working OK as I have the e-smith in server only mode inside the network & then it can see the Internet & so call all other devices.  Its only when I add the second NIC & set the e-smith as the gateway that I start to have problems.

I'll keep testing.  Cheers.

Jim Huneycutt

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 06:33:08 AM »
I had difficulty connecting SME 5.5 to a PPPoA system. The ISP was able to make a small change to configure the account as PPPoE. SME then worked fine.
Just fyi,
jim